Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Strickly Traditional

Old 08-11-2004, 08:37 PM

Default Strickly Traditional

Well everyone this will be my last year for my compound. I have decided that for next year my Super Kodiak will be joining be in the woods. I just feel that i will get more enjoyment out of using my recurve than my compound. Just seems that there is more frustration than enjoyment when im shooting my compound. And everytime i bring out my recurve i just dont want to put it down. I only wish that i would of made my decision sooner because i would like to hunt with it this fall but havent practiced enough with it to feel comfortable.

Has anyone else felt the same way i have? Started with compound but than switched to recurve?
Old 08-11-2004, 10:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Strickly Traditional

me

But you'll have to sell all the compound stuff before you ever truly go traditional. Why ? The ease of use and accuracy a compound affords is a Black Death that seeps into your conscience when you're not drilling with your recurve. The Death will whisper " pick me up, I can shoot 3" groups at 40 yards " and it'll whisper " you'll be more ethical and successful using me "

Resist the Black Death that is the compound bow .... rid yourself of it forever !

[8D]
Old 08-11-2004, 10:22 PM

You are right. Already have take pictures of it and will most likely be selling it on ebay around January or sell it back to my pro shop.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I started shooting recurves when I was a kid but when I started bowhunting,I went to a compound(??).Hunted with that for a few years but never liked sights and couldn't get used to the break in the draw-much preferred the smoothness of a recurve so I sold everything and bought a stickbow.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:32 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I figure that most archers have picked up the compound at one time or another--some were shooting before there was such a thing and tried it out, others were like myself and didn't know that recurves and longbows still existed when they started.

I still have my first compound in the basement, and don't ever get the urge to go back to it. Admittedly it's a dinosaur, but I was deadly accurate with it once upon a time. I'll get it down maybe once a year, shoot one or two arrows, then hang it back on it's nail. The last compound I owned was much more up to date--one of the better ones available at the time. I sold it because at the time it brought a good price.

I shoot traditional because I love and enjoy the sport, and am not torn apart if I don't kill something during hunting season. The thrill and challenge is what draws me to it. I have been with it long enough to become a decent shot also. Maybe that's why the wheel bows don't tempt me.

Honestly, I'd probably recommend hanging on to the compound a little bit longer. I can only give a general statement here, not knowing you, but traditional archery isn't for everyone. No shame in that--a lot of sports aren't for everyone. You might want to make 100% sure before you totally commit--I'd rather see someone in the woods with a compound they are are 100% confident and accurate with than someone second guessing themselves with trad gear--just my opinion.

Now, if you are the type person that loves to just get out and shoot arrows, and enjoys the hunt more than the kill, you will most likely never have the urge to go back. No need to answer that here, just answer it honestly to yourself. If that is the case, you might as well sell the compound now--not likely it will ever be worth more later on. Then again, you might be one of the folks that thouroughly enjoys both tools--nothing wrong with that either.

Just be true to yourself, and don't worry about what others think. Some may tell you that you have to be shooting a selfbow with knapped heads on your rivercane arrows and hunt in a loincloth to be a "true" traditional archer--just smile at them and go about your business.

Anyhow, I'll quit my rambling and just say "Welcome to our addiction!"

Chad
Old 08-12-2004, 01:12 AM

After 20 years a bowhuntin with the compound I picked up a recurve last year.I don't own a compound anymore.One thing I will tell you is you will have up's an down's.If it's what you want to do stick with it.The rewards are worth the extra work.Just ask yourself one question.If the buck of a lifetime comes strollin by at 35 yds and ya gotta pass the shot,will it be the end of the world for ya?If so ya might wanna stay with the compound.If ya think,well I'll get em next time,then you won't have a problem going traditional.

Good luck
CB
Old 08-12-2004, 07:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

I started shooting a bow when I was a little tyke and will be celebrating my 50th anniversary of shooting a bow come next April. Never have been too fond of compounds. In fact, when I was in college, I was actively involved in a letter writing campaign to keep the compound illegal for hunting. It wasn't until 10 years later that I ever touched a compound.

Started shooting them in competition. Hunted with them some. They're not too bad for hunting if you shoot 'em fingers/barebow. Sights and releases though...[:'(]

It's been well over 20 years since I started splitting time between trad and wheels. I still switch hit but, now that I don't compete any more, when you see me heading out the door, 99 times out of a hundred I'll be toting a stickbow. When you shoot just for the pleasure of shooting arrows, then you pretty much only shoot what you enjoy.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:37 AM

Have to agree with Chad. I'd hold onto the compound for a while.. You can always shoot both.. Shooting traditional will not effect your compound shooting.. Except for all the good things we all talk about when we describe traditional archery, lol. Traditional archery takes a bit of time to get good at and be fair to the animals you hunt. Now I have sold all my compounds simply because I just quit shooting them.. and knew I wanted to spend all my shooting and hunting time with longbows and recurves.. But you should not feel pressured to get rid the compound just because you are now shooting traditional... Give it some time..

Calabash
Old 08-16-2004, 10:47 AM
Typical Buck

I must be a klutz, because I tried shooting both the compound and recurve and it just didn't work for me. I had to get rid of the wheels before I could realize much improvment with the curve.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:33 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Nahhh....everyone is just different. Some folks need to get rid of the "crutch" to give it 100%, some have trouble distinguishing between the two when it's time to shoot (try to shoot one just like the other, and that can cause problems I think).

I still take a shot with a compound at our local club once a year or so--don't use the sights and shoot fingers though. I can't get over how much the things have changed in the last few years--looking less and less like a bow, and more like.......shoot, I dunno what they look like. I've thought about getting one that is long enough to shoot with fingers while I still can, in case I ever have to give up my longbow--afraid there won't be any such thing before long--then I think about it again, and just can't bring myself to do it. Hopefully I won't ever need to go that route.

Chad

Quick Reply: Strickly Traditional

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.