Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Recurve Question

Old 07-18-2004, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Recurve Question

Thanks! I have a feeling I'll be asking a lot of questions in the next few months. Is there any good reads that'll help me understand traditional archery?
Old 07-19-2004, 07:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd recommend Byron Ferguson's book, "Become the Arrow." I prefer his approach to shooting over Asbell's, by far. Asbell preaches pure instinctive shooting, which is basically learned completely by trial and error. Ferguson has an aiming system - very similar to Howard Hill's method, but Ferguson does a better job of explaining it, IMO - which will get you shooting accurately much faster. Also, with practice and experience, his method will become so automatic that it practically becomes instinctive.

It's a shame about your $10 bow. An even bigger shame is there are few pro shops out there that have any practical, working knowledge about traditional bows. [&:]
Old 07-19-2004, 09:34 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I agree with Arthur. Ferguson's book is like the man himself--simple and down to earth. It's easy to read, follow, and understand. I don't agree with everything in his book (especially the part about wood arrows), but the fundamentals are there and it will give you a strong start. Asbell, in my opinion, takes you around the block to get you across the street--in other words he way over-complicates things. Trying to start out shooting "instinctive" can be tough and frustrating--starting out with a way to aim and moving on to "instinctive" is much easier, I think. Nothing wrong with aiming a trad bow--hitting your mark is what counts.

Chad
Old 07-19-2004, 11:01 AM

Also, a longer bow decreases finger pinch.

Bryon does a good job in his book. But don't get hung up on "the proper way" to shoot a bow. Traditional archery is supposed to be fun, not a job. Most people just anchor at the corner of their mouth, cant their bow until the nock is under their master eye, look down the arrow and shoot. The way I learned to shoot a recurve bow 38 years ago, is not the proper way now. And I am not going to tell you my technique. On the other hand, I can and do hit running rabbits, spuirrels in trees, walking deer and running hogs (I am 2 for 2, both good hits and both recovered within 40 yards). All I am trying to say is, just because your shooting technique is not what is descripted as the proper way to shoot a bow, does not make you wrong. The main thing is lots of practice, stump shooting and having fun.

Stump shooting is taking a couple dozen arrows and a dozen flu-flu's and walking through the woods. Pick out a pine cone, piece of dirt or low leaf (try to have a back stop, such as a hill side or stump) and shoot an arrow at it (field points, blunts or points with wire fingers work best). You will be surprised how fast you start zeroing in on the target. If you miss, big deal. Traditional archery is about having fun, not scores. Try again. And take someone with you. It's a lot more fun with two people stump shooting.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:19 AM

Yep, that was a good bow. Martin makes them now and even Cabelas sells them. If it was just a limb twist, we could have helped, but it may have already been delaminating. I also think Byron is a good shooting coach.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks, guys! I'm in serious debate about buying a new super-duper Bowtech or a half decent recurve for next year....this is a very tough decision for me. I've killed plenty of deer with a compound and frankly it's becoming easy -- at least the shooting part! I've always had a love for trditional bows, but I know nothing about them, how to tune them, etc. When I was younger(not all that long ago...I'm 23) I used to shoot a 45# Bear something or other recurve and was quite proficient shooting instinctive...hopefully I still have that ability! I've pondered buying "become the Arrow" several times, but without a bow to shoot I've always passed. Based on you guys' recommendations I believe I'll be picking it up soon. Again, much thanks!