HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Archery (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery-19/)
-   -   Advice needed (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery/64217-advice-needed.html)

JeffB 06-22-2004 12:23 PM

Advice needed

Hey Folks,

Thought I'd come over on this side of the boards and ask for some advice.:D

Several years ago I shot trad gear. Never got terribly good at it, but had fun, and bought a few custom bows. However an old lower back injury as well as some target panic finally pushed me back to compounds.

Now when I used to shoot trad gear I shot left handed equipment...because I'm left eye dominant..but I'm right handed (and shoot compounds right handed but have to close my left eye)

I've been getting the itch to pick up a longbow again, but I know that I won't be able to shoot lefty for long if at all before I start hurting again. What are everyone's thoughts on shooting cross dominant? Some folks say yes, some say they shot much better with the dominant eye over the arrow, etc..I've read all the books like Instinctive archery insights, Fred Asbells books, Become the Arrow, etc..seems everyone has an opinion one way or the other.

What do y'all think? should I give the righty a go? or am I wasting my time?

Thanx in advance for comments :)

Floxter 06-22-2004 01:43 PM

RE: Advice needed

Jeff, while it is advisable for beginners to learn to shoot with their dominant eye to reach maximum potential, there are plenty of us that never got that message and shoot cross dominant. Maybe that's why I'm such a mediocre shot. But there are plenty of successful archers who shoot cross dominant, including Olympic caliber archers.

Chessbum 06-22-2004 02:34 PM

I shoot cross dominant. The key is practice practice practice...

JeffB 06-23-2004 07:07 AM

Thanx for the advice folks! :)

Anyone else care to comment? Art? I know you are out there! :D, LBR?

Arthur P 06-23-2004 07:37 AM

When I shoot a left handed bow, I just close my right (dominant) eye. By the time I decide to take a shot, I've already used my binocular vision to estimate the distance. All that's left is to direct the arrow to the target, and only the dominant eye does that.

Closing the dominant eye automatically makes the open eye the dominant one. I know it's against all "The Rules" of shooting, that you must keep both eyes open while aiming and all that... but I don't care. All that matters to me is hitting what I'm aiming at.

Anyway, that's my simple solution.

LBR 06-23-2004 08:36 AM

Never had that problem myself--tried shooting left-handed just once, and after I regained conciousness I decided not to try that again.[8D]

I think Arthur is on the right track. I shot with one eye closed for years--didn't know any better. I was self taught, and shot a bow like I shot a rifle--one eye closed. Found out that wasn't the "right" way (it can bugger your depth perception) and forced myself to start shooting with both eyes open. It does work though--I did just fine.

Chad

lcoast 06-23-2004 09:11 AM

Through an eye injury, I have gone from left eye dominant to right eye dominant. I still shoot left but am learning slowly to shoot right. Just think it is a good idea.

I shoot okay left though and maybe it is because i did it for so long. I do fine right with a light bow. Heavy and I am still iffy, need more practise.

But you already have the mechanics from your compound, I would think it would be fairly easy for you to shoot right in a trad bow.

=keith=

arrowsmit 06-23-2004 08:26 PM

Howard Hill did 'OK' shooting cross dominant...

Troy n Oh 06-24-2004 10:45 AM

I shoot cross dominant and while I am not the greatest shot I don't think my eyes have much to do with that lol. For true instintive shooting it doesn't matter. If you plan to gap shoot or some other aiming method you would have problems though. Good Luck

JeffB 06-25-2004 08:01 AM

Thank You all for the comments and advice :) I'll chalk up a righty longbow on my X-mas list this year:D