Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

bow pics

Old 06-18-2004, 08:33 AM

Default bow pics

Here is somethng that kinda makes me curious. I have been trying to find a used bow so i can replace my Martin Vision. I have led a very sheltered life and am not familiar with about 99.9% of the bows out there. So I see an ad for a bow and i look and most of the time if there are pictures included, there are no images of the unstrung profile of the bow. Usually a couple of riser shots, maybe a pic of tips and one of the bow braced. If the bow interests me i will ask the seller for unstrung profile pics, but, why aren't they included? I can not tell much about a bow unless i see the profile.

Am I alone in that?

=keith=
Old 06-18-2004, 01:20 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: bow pics

No , you're not alone ,
I would also like to see the bow unstrung since I just began getting into archery recently and am not all that familiar with them yet . I don't know enough about them to make an informed decision , so I'd like to know as much from the seller as possible including how to care for it and use it . Those who own bows sometimes forget that their potential buyer may not always know what they need in a bow or what is being offered .
Old 06-18-2004, 01:35 PM

let me ask u this ...what are u looking for ? Im not just being noisey ,since I looking for one myself
Old 06-18-2004, 07:50 PM

Horn Hunter,
I have been looking for a used Chek Mate Crusader, somewhere between 48-54 pounds at 66 inches or longer in Left Hand. Pretty well given up on that and have been talking to a guy about a Howard Hill Big 5.

What are you after?

Kevin what about you? You looking for a long bow or a recurve?

=keith-
Old 06-21-2004, 01:05 PM

Icoast ...Ive been looking for a take-down or 1 pc. in a 55#, 60"-62"... right handed...I have a HOYT compound for trade if anybody is looking for one
Old 06-21-2004, 10:17 PM

I just got back from our grand finale shoot, I shoot compound BUT!! I entered the raffle and at the end of the (2nd) day I won a beautiful hand made long bow. I believe the material is osage. It has a 62" length, and a 55# draw weight at 28". It was told to me that the local boyer wants $675 for this bow. I don't shoot trad as I have arther itis in my fingers and one or two pulls and I'm all in. It is a ghosty grey/silver color and the brace has a red phrenolic laminate stripe running through it. The limbs are glass faced and backed black in color.The arrow shelf is silenced with ? beaver? I'm not sure. Here's the deal.

I'm looking for a new AR 34 ram and a half or a Martin Slayer, I'd swap straight up for the basic if anyone might be interested. I'll try to post some pics later.
Old 06-22-2004, 04:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Keith,

Dont you make selfbows?
Old 06-22-2004, 09:48 AM

Dan, I do. But everything i make ends up elsewhere and I am really slow. The only self bow I have here right now that is made for me is too light for hunting. But I ahve a couple on the go that are gonna remain here.

Horn Hunter, have you tried women-outdoors.com?

=keith=
Old 06-22-2004, 09:56 AM

It's true of a lot of the manufacturer's websites also. A bunch of pictures of the riser and nocks, and sometimes no picture of the strung or unstrung bow. I think it has gotten worse witht he large number of bowyers. There are many purely aesthetic options in wood overlays and materials that suck up a lot of space on sites, or in brochures.

There are lots of Crussader pics at recurves.com
Old 06-23-2004, 09:05 AM

Ossage, I should have mentioned it. It was the unstrung profile shots of the Crusader at recurves.com that really got me looking for one. I have had no success finding one but I have looked at other bows that are for sale.

I think you have pretty well stated what I was kinda thinking as far as pictures of bows go. Kind of an interesting phenom.

=keith=