Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

small game hunting!

Old 06-13-2004, 02:33 PM

Default small game hunting!

Hay there,just wondering.Would a 38lb recure be suitable for small game like phesant or rabbits?

Tomy D
Old 06-13-2004, 03:09 PM

Default RE: small game hunting!

Why not, 35 lbs bows have killed elk!!
Old 06-14-2004, 10:55 PM

Weight wise it is adequate but better check with you game regs to make sure it is legal. Has to be 40 ponds at archers draweight here in my part of the world.

=keith=
Old 06-15-2004, 07:20 PM
Typical Buck

Like was said, the bows weight is adequate for small game, but is best to contact your dept of game and fish to see if it's legal. Here where I live, a bow must be able to cast a legal hunting arrow 150 yards in flight.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:10 AM

Wahya, that is an interesting regulation. I have never heard that one before. Any restriction on arrow weight along with that?

=keith=
Old 06-18-2004, 09:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well i know this isn't really a place to talk about compound bows but I have mine at 60 lbs and was brought down an rabbit so i could see that 35 lbs would be able to.
Old 06-19-2004, 07:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Icoast, it's an archaic law that came before carbon arrows. For that matter, it probably came before compounds as well. We used to have that same law here in Texas, but they changed it quite a few years back to a 40 pound minimum draw weight.

However, our minimum draw weight law does not apply to small game. So, again, check your regs.

TomyD, you've got enough bow, it's merely a matter of legalities. IF it turns out your bow is legal for small game hunting... At 38 pounds, I seriously doubt you'd have enough impact energy to use blunts, so stick with broadheads.
Old 06-19-2004, 09:35 AM

Arthur, archaic huh? LOL. Some might say it is "Traditional".

Good point about the blunts. Definetly use broadheads on them bunnies.

=keith=
Old 06-19-2004, 09:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Traditional, huh? Yep. Some might say that.
Old 06-19-2004, 09:40 AM
Typical Buck

lcoast, it only stipulates that the arrow be a legal hunting arrow and because the warden isn't going to ask a hunter to launch an arrow, they used a formula to determine what weight the bow would have to be in order to cast an arrow that distance. However, when I asked what weight that would be, the warden shrugged and gave me the look that said, you know it's really up to me, right?

Quick Reply: small game hunting!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.