HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Archery (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery-19/)
-   -   interested in recurves (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery/61122-interested-recurves.html)

holepuncher 05-10-2004 06:57 PM

interested in recurves

My younger brother recently purchased a Martin recurve, I shot it afew times at a bag target, I think I might be able to get the job done in a couple of years, but first I was wondering what brand of recurve would be best to get started with. I don't have alot of money. any suggestions would be appreciated.

the Razorhead 05-10-2004 07:08 PM

RE: interested in recurves

ORIGINAL: holepuncher
brand of recurve would be best to get started with. I don't have alot of money. any suggestions would be appreciated.

Second-hand.

Besides eBay, there's a ton of classifieds sites on the net. Look for one 10-15lbs lighter in draw that the compound you're currently shooting.

If you're not shooting right now, start with a 35#'er or so and plan on trading up.

c903 05-10-2004 10:23 PM

holepuncher;

It all begins with your physical specs.

Most that start shooting recurves, often choose bows that are to short for their draw-length and too much poundage.

mshane 05-11-2004 11:26 AM

Once you figure out your draw weight and length, here are a couple of places to start, and I think you will get a "more honest" deal than on E-Bay....

http://www.women-outdoors.com/cgi-bi...lassifieds.cgi

http://tradgang.com//noncgi/ultimate...?ubb=forum;f=5

Shane

holepuncher 05-11-2004 06:14 PM

Thanks for information

holepuncher 05-11-2004 06:36 PM

six foot one inch tall
200 lbs
shoot a 70 lb compound
29 " draw
I see by looking around that they come in different lengths, Why is that?
I really don't want to relive the days when I started shooting a compound and got ripped off!

lcoast 05-12-2004 10:05 AM

You are going about it the right way. You may want to look for a shoot where vendors gather and try different bows or a local trad club where the guys will let ya fling a few.

Basically the longer the bow the smoother and more forgiving. The Olympic folks use long recurves for a reason.

You are goint to end up drawing somewhere between 28" and 29' for your draw length but no way aree you gonna shoot a 70 pound recurve well. I would recommend ya find a nice 45 pounder and work on your form and then move up in weight. Bows that are too heavy breed bad habits.

I pull 28.5 inches and i much prefer a recurve 64 inches than a 60 inch recurve. I hunt and have found that ther ain't much difference dragging 60 inches or 66 inches throught the brush. Guys who use blinds or treestands though prefer short bows. Shooting off a horse is better with a shorter bow.

Anyway, there are a ton ov variables but ya gotta start somewhere. You will find that your preferences morph over time.

I would seconfd the tradgang and womenoutdoors vote. Some reasonable deals at both places.

=keith=

Venoy 05-13-2004 02:07 PM

Has anyone tried a PSE Impala recrurve? FS Discount Archery is selling them for $155.99 on their website. They look good, but how do they shot?

Lilhunter 05-14-2004 05:22 AM

some great stuff here,

You asked about a PSE bow venoy. I havent been pleased with any PSE or Samick bow I have seen yet. These are not the same quality that their reputation preceeds. I believe the koreans are using the samicks for the olyimpics, however the ATTN to detail, or lack their of in this case in the lower end bows is horrible!

The real question right off the bat is not what bow....but HOW MUCH do "I" (YOU), have to spend. There are as many good bows new and used out there these days for a good deal if ya look and dont rush into buying junk. This seems to be the case whether its stubborness or unkowningly, most guys end up with a mirage of bows *myself included*. However buying a GOOD bow right off the bat is worth the weight. In my case a new Howatt Hunter cost me 180 bucks, 20 bucks for 1dozen cedar arrows. That bow was worth gold, sure wish I had it today.

Since then I have picked up some high end bows for 250 or less, in NEW condition (robertson, JD Berry, Sentman to name 3)!!!! Have also picked up a good load of middle end bows for 200 or less. All great shooters, most of them I've kept, some I've traded, and some I am about to completly BURN!

Go through the classifieds regularly. In the mean time, get your hands on bows and shoot them! Dont worry how an arrow flies, you'll get that part down the road. You're looking for the bow! This is one area most of us make mistake in picking out a bow (IE. the bow shoots great, arrows are going where I want, or the bow shoots lousy, the arrow's cork screwing through the air). Also realize these bows are set up for someone else. Not that they wont work for you and work well with their setups. Many people can shoot my old crusader and shoot it well with my arrows. However NO ONE can get my new crusader to hit the ground. Realize it's now the bow when shooting and take it for what its worth. how does it feel, draw, noise (which can be adjusted to some degree), speed relative to arrow weights, torque. You'll know the bow when it falls in your hand!