Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Can We Say CHECKMATE here >

Can We Say CHECKMATE here

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Can We Say CHECKMATE here

Old 04-19-2004, 01:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Can We Say CHECKMATE here

Stealthy, them's fightin' words ya know....[>:]

I gotta admit the BW SA I shot Saturday makes my Kings Pawn look like a booger, but I could buy 3 1/2 bows exactly like mine for the price of just one of them Black Widderses.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:05 PM

Kinda like shooting yourself in the foot to see if it hurts.

LMAO I actually did this the first time I went paintballing!![8D]!
Old 04-19-2004, 08:16 PM
Typical Buck

I could buy 3 1/2 bows exactly like mine for the price of just one of them Black Widderses.
Maybe so Arthur, but you still wouldn't have a BW! [:@]

What'cha gonna do with 1/2 a bow anyhow??
Old 04-19-2004, 09:13 PM

Does the bow make the man or does the man make the bow?

Me I never shot a BW. Only one I ever saw in person was the wrong hand. I got a buddy though who has several archery trophies in his bow room who says BW is the worst bow he ever shot. And he can afford a few of them.

I kinda think it is one of them subjective things.

=keith=
Old 04-20-2004, 12:12 AM

Thanks LBR, I just didn't want to be thoughtlessly rude.

None of the bows I saw were second hand. They had about 60-100 new Checkmates of various types.

Not all checkmates are equal there are a lot of different models. For instance one local shop orders Crussaders specificaly for IBO. These guys have made about 15000 bows, and they make them for all kinds. The two I like the best from a performance perspective are the crussader and the firebird. The one piece and 2 piece hunting recurves are increadibly good buys, and they perform right up there with a lot of very well known top custom bows. I mean exactly as good, not roughly.

One pal was trying to replace a Widow he had shot for about 20 years, one of the first natural clear glass bows. He went through a bunch of top bows, finaly settled on two checkmates, which surprised me a little. He is now shooting A Dick Robertson bow he got from me which he finds even better. But the point is he went through a bunch of custom bows first, and the CM was right in there. He easily shoots 75-80#s, so he is pretty much set for decent speed in any bow he shoots. For me I prefer to shoot a recurve with a little more zip than the CM Hunter series.

My only other CM complaint is they don't really have a decent non-hybrid longbow.

1/2 a bow sounds like a set of limbs to me.

I have a Widow, and they are well made bows that shoot a fast arrow, particularly considering the brace height. But at a time when I had about 12 customs around, they were never the one I reached for. Feel is the most important thing. Just a combination of happy circumstances that makes one bow the most shootable for a given person. You can spend a huge stack of dough on a Widow and it doesn't mean a thing if it ends up just another bow in your closset.

There are products like flyrods, golf club shafts, and bows were the big name means nothing, what maters is how it feels, and how that makes it work in your hands. Something like an Able fly reel is just a really well made product I can fish at any time without droping a beat. I could say the same thing about a number of 500-1000 dollar reels, but a rod or a bow is not something that the manufacturer can make the best for you. He can make the worst, but the best is too personal.

I had my Widow up for sale, now that I am down to 2 bows. But I got it back form the dealer for the odd reason that I kept seeing them in the hands of folks like Asbell in magazines, videos, and such. I felt I would probably get roped again (WHAT A SUCKER) if i sold it, so I'm haging on for now, but I'm not shooting it.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:27 AM

Thanks Ossage. I have found only one used LH Crusader and I held off too long on and it was sold.

=keith=
Old 04-22-2004, 07:01 AM

ORIGINAL: lcoast
... has several archery trophies in his bow room who says BW is the worst bow he ever shot. And he can afford a few of them.

I kinda think it is one of them subjective things.

=keith=
I agree, VERY subjective. I too have a few trophies hangin' around and BW is one of the best I've ever shot... actually I don't think animals tagged has much to do with the bow, but rather the hunter. Chek-Mates are great shooting bows also. Had a couple of 'em and Fedoras too, but now I'm back to a Bighorn and discovered the niceties of a Widow. They just fit ME better than the others.
Old 04-22-2004, 06:30 PM
Typical Buck

Yepper, subjective for sure, but I'll second the BW & Bighorns any day Piney, fantastic shooters!
Old 04-24-2004, 10:10 AM

We are definetly funny creatures. I drive a Ford 1/2 ton 4x4. It is a pile of rust. It has all the typical Ford gonna go wrong stuff wrong but I wouldn't trade it for a GM that was 10 years newer with no miles on it. Just plain stupid and stubborn and very subjective.

My buddy who doesn't like Black Widows thinks his Bingham kit bow is hands down the best bow he has ever shot. And he didn't put it together.

=keith=
Old 06-27-2004, 02:30 AM

Let me add my vote to ChekMate.. I love mine.. Sold my Black Widow SAG when I got my 2 piece Atilla.. My Longbow is a Crusader.. Chad, Hope you liked the Texas State Longbow Championships this year..All the best...
Calabash

Quick Reply: Can We Say CHECKMATE here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.