Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Korean Traditional Recurve - Hunting >

Korean Traditional Recurve - Hunting

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Korean Traditional Recurve - Hunting

Old 04-05-2004, 04:20 PM
Spike

Default Korean Traditional Recurve - Hunting

I've been Deer hunting with a Compound bow for several years now... I'm very interested in learning to shoot a Korean Style recurve bow. Anyone familiar with these types of bows and shooting techniques out there? I've looked at several local archery shops and none carries the bows. Iv'e found some on the internet but would not like to purshase one without a recomendation from someone here.

I'm in Houston Texas (Clear Lake).

Thank you,

TxBowman
Old 04-05-2004, 09:23 PM

Default RE: Korean Traditional Recurve - Hunting

I have never shot one but they interest me as well. I only know of one dealer selling the Korean bows but there are more that sell the different variations. Mongolian, Hun, Assyrian etc.

I think they would make a great treestand or blind bow.

Chek-Mate bows makes an Asian knock off that is a flat bow called the Longhorn that is by all accounts a super bow. And Java Man Archery makes a wooden Asian looking laminated bow.

=keith=
Old 04-07-2004, 03:58 PM
Spike

Some reasources I've found on the subject.

http://www.horsebows.com/bows/
http://www.atarn.org
Old 04-07-2004, 05:23 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I don't know anything about Korean archery--sorry. The Chek-Mate Longhorn's design was based on the Turkish horse bow, although (to me anyway) it shoots/feels quite a bit different.

Chad
Old 04-08-2004, 08:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've been interested in oriental archery for a while and reading about it. Never have taken the plunge and gotten a bow but I have played around a bit with the thumb release. Even had a chance to use it in a tournament a few weeks ago when we had a target where you had to shoot your own bow, but with the opposite hand. Shot the target using the thumb release with my left hand with the arrow sitting on the shelf and closed my right eye. Got a 5, but at least I was one of the few that actually hit the target.

There used to be a guy that hung out on Stickbow going by the handle Blue Lake that lived in Korea and is very much into Korean archery. You might see if you can look him up. I'm sure he could answer any questions you have.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:36 PM
Spike

I hunt with one of Csaba Grozers Avar bows. Shoot it split finger not thumb release. Once you get used to them and fine tune your arrow/bow. There really isnt a whole lot of differance. That said it did take awhile to learn how to shoot it after a recurve cut past center.
Now I have one of Rodney Wright's Buffalo bows to play with.
Old 04-24-2004, 11:25 AM
Fork Horn

Thomas aka blueLake has a BB on ezboard.com (traditional archery)... you can go there and ask questions.....

He had one in yahoo, but moved it there... is frequented by others that play with the korean style bows...
Old 04-25-2004, 11:45 AM

I like the looks of the Japanese bows, and wouldn't mind making one of those in a hunting size to be shot with a regular anchor.

Here is another eastern style bow. You can guess from the name "Nomad" what it's derived from:

http://www.restlessspiritbows.com/ga...tup&cat=&pos=2
Old 04-26-2004, 06:28 PM
Spike

To look at Asian bows go here http://www.traditional-archery-scand.../englisch.html
To ask questions or get infomation this is the place to go
http://www.atarn.org/frameindex.htm
I have purchased all my horse bows from Rainer. You will be had put to find a more helpfull man.He wont try to fob you off with something rthat wont work for you.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:18 PM
Fork Horn

we've put in a call for Thomas, aka "bluelake" aka the Korean Bow Know-It-All and Famous Seer, Sage, and Soothsayer. He's also the Gatekeeper of Gozer (I think)...

he'll come he'p ya'...

Quick Reply: Korean Traditional Recurve - Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.