Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Used Black Widow or a Hunter II? >

Used Black Widow or a Hunter II?

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Used Black Widow or a Hunter II?

Old 02-10-2004, 12:53 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Used Black Widow or a Hunter II?

A few questions and a couple cents worth of my opinion. If the bow is marked 63# @30", it's 57# @28". What is your draw length? That will determine the weight of the bow, as they are not adjustable otherwise. Does it accept fast flight strings?(if not, it's an older bow and IMHO probably not worth the asking price) Have you had it checked out by someone that can determine if it's sound?

If you're a big strong individual, you might not have any trouble shooting it. If you're an average guy, that's too much weight to start out with. Just my opinion, but you'd be much better off starting with a 45-50# bow max. Perfecting your form with a trad stick can be tricky if you are overbowed and it can and will cause shooting problems and bad habits in form if you're not careful.

Good luck on being ready in a couple months with whatever bow you choose. It took me a couple years (I'm old and slow) to get my shooting down to the point that I was confident that I could kill with the first arrow. Unless you are a natural and they are out there, you have chosen a task that takes a lot of commitment and time to master. Most importantly, have fun with it.
Old 02-10-2004, 02:48 AM

Yeah, I thought about the higher weight to start on. I might go buy a cheap little 40 pounder to get started with.

And I know it is optamistic getting proficient that quick but if I am good enough I will give it a try. I think I am somewhat of a natural though.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

japeter2 - I started with a 52# bow, but depending on how strong you are you could start out heavier. You gotta shoot the same way every shot, regardless if you anchor at your lips or behind your ears - consistancy is THE biggest factor IMO.

Bare shaft your arrows, get them flying good and at least you know its not the arrows fault

Shoot at targets ... and then also shoot at pop cans with Judos - you'll have fun for certain.

Buy the Widow, sell it if it doesn't "fit" or trade for something else and do that until you end up with an Adcock
Old 02-10-2004, 08:44 PM
Typical Buck

If the used BW is in good shape you can recoop most (if not all) of your money if you decide to sell it later. You'll lose some money anytime you do that with a new bow. Besides, everyone knows that BW's are the best!
Old 02-10-2004, 10:49 PM

$500, HMMMMMM, neither, I would go with a HABU, theirs a long waiting list I heard, but they make one sweet bow!! My brother has one, he's left handed, and so am I, but he will not part with it!!! [:@]
Old 02-11-2004, 06:03 AM

You can get that Habu for a little over $1000.00.

I've never shot the Hunter, but have a BW SA I really like. If I do it right, it will put the arrows in that target. Very solid and predictable.

Blocky? One reason I like the BW is the narrow grip.
Old 02-11-2004, 10:06 AM

Just got off the phone with Chris(owner of Habu), and he said he's got some lower end bows for $850, Put $250 down and a 1year waiting list...

To answer the question: I would go with a used Black Widow, @ $500, if I could find the right one.... I mean left (HANDED)one...Some B.W.'S do resemble the Habu's...
Old 02-11-2004, 11:00 AM

They resembled the MA. I believe he now makes one that is similar to the SA too.

The SA has the smaller sight window and is the one I like best.

He doesn't advertise the $850 bows.

http://www.habubows.com/
Old 02-11-2004, 03:56 PM

I believe the $850 bows was if you did'nt go with the exotic woods, the way I understood him!
Old 02-11-2004, 05:45 PM
Typical Buck

...Some B.W.'S do resemble the Habu's...
Hehe, ya got the cart before the horse there didnt'cha fella?

Quick Reply: Used Black Widow or a Hunter II?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.