Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
Stick bow and a release??????? >

Stick bow and a release???????

Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Stick bow and a release???????

Old 10-14-2014, 04:28 AM
Typical Buck

Default Stick bow and a release???????

My fingers don't work so well and get sore quickley. Has anyone here ever tried shooting a stick or recurve with a release????
Old 10-14-2014, 05:12 AM
Fork Horn

What kind of finger tab are you using? I use a three fingered shooting glove. After you shoot for a while your fingers adapt and soreness stops.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:39 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I used to shoot with a guy here and there...think he was from GA? He had either a disease or injury (I forget) that caused he to have to go to a release aid. Pretty sure he also used an elevated rest and cushion plunger as well. He was a dang good shot.

If sore fingers are the main problem, you can go to a thicker glove/tab and/or go down in draw weight.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:00 PM
Typical Buck

It is not skin soreness,it is joints. OLD AGE stuff!
Old 10-15-2014, 05:49 PM
Fork Horn

Put a loop on it and use a real ease it will work the same as for compound.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would if I couldn't shoot my bow anymore. I've over done it and made my fingers sore, but I'm one of those that likes to shoot over 100 arrows a day if time allowed.

I know Burnie has the same problem and I asked him if he would use a release, he told me he'd just use his compound instead of using a release.
Hey at the end of the day, if you're enjoying it who cares what other think of it.
Good luck, I know that's a hard thing to overcome. I'm 65 and thank God, I can still shot a 65# bow, but I backed off to 55 just in case.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot with an older fellow this summer that was shooting a release with his recurve. He was a longbow shooter but couldn't shoot the longbows anymore because of arthritis. He was using a Win Flight glove release and shot pretty good with it. And BTW....release aids have been around before compounds were around

Last edited by JimPic; 10-16-2014 at 04:55 AM.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:11 AM
Dominant Buck

Back in the late 70s early 80s I remember lots of target shooters using the flipper releases. Like the old Bear ones. There are thumb rings that work really well. I have a messed up hand and can only draw with two fingers. Ive tried different wrist strap releases and just don't like it at all. Ive dropped down to a little lighter longbow that I can draw with my index and middle finger. Not sure how much longer I can shoot like this. But for now, it will get me through this season. Once I can no longer draw with my middle finger, I am going to use a thumb ring.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:16 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by The Rev
I would if I couldn't shoot my bow anymore. I've over done it and made my fingers sore, but I'm one of those that likes to shoot over 100 arrows a day if time allowed.

I know Burnie has the same problem and I asked him if he would use a release, he told me he'd just use his compound instead of using a release.
Hey at the end of the day, if you're enjoying it who cares what other think of it.
Good luck, I know that's a hard thing to overcome. I'm 65 and thank God, I can still shot a 65# bow, but I backed off to 55 just in case.
I have been shooting my Ipe stick at 60lbs. I draw with two fingers. My ring finger is starting to curl up and just cant take the pain when I try to draw with all three fingers. The two fingers seem to be working well.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:58 AM
Fork Horn

Stay traditional and get a thumb ring and practice with it. The thumb rings were used by the Mongols and is a simple release between your thumb and forefinger.

Not mine, but a good explaination
Thumb ring video

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.