HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Archery (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery-19/)
-   -   Shaft Swap ? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery/39384-shaft-swap.html)

pyral 10-07-2003 09:29 PM

Shaft Swap ?

I have been shooting my 62" , 47lb@28" Martin recurve for a while now with 2219 Easton Gamegetter II 31" shafts and 125gr tips with good results and now I am wanting to upgrade to Easton' s XX78 Super Slam 32" shafts. I would like to have the uni-bushings and nocks and the only shaft size I can think of in the XX78 line (they don' t offer the 2219) is the 2216. If I step down in wall thickness, how adversely will my spine be affected, will the 2315 be closer to the spine I need? The reason I want to go to a longer shaft is because when I pull a 31" to my anchor I can just start to feel the blades of a broadhead on my index finger so I want an extra inch for saftey. Thanks for any advice you can offer?

Joshua

pyral 10-08-2003 06:22 PM

RE: Shaft Swap ?

C' mon guys. Just a little bit of help. Pleeeaaase!!! I' ll ask all nice and pretty with icing and sugar all over. Arthur P. I know you have said that you have or do use the 2216 shafts, what do you think. Just a little help guys

Josh

Deleted User 10-08-2003 09:20 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

pyral 10-09-2003 04:19 PM

At least you replied and didn' t leave me hangin' . For that I thank you heartily.

Josh

IrishLad32 10-09-2003 07:53 PM

Josh, go to www.stickbow.com and look at their sponsor list for " Arrow by Kelly" He has a chart for aluminum arrows. From what I understand, it isn' t base on Easton' s chart, but he put it together himself from his experience with them. I' m clueless when it comes to aluminums really; I' m a wood fanatic. You could e-mail him about it, or register and ask the question at the leatherwall. You should have a bundle of answers in short order. I know some memebers here have had bad experiences with the leatherwall, but due to some recent changes it' s shaped up a lot. I' d really recommend taking it there.

Brandan

longbowman 10-10-2003 09:40 AM

[:o] Pyral, I think if you move down in arrow size you will be pleasantly suprised with the arrow performance. I shoot 2216' s at 27" out of my 80# longbow and 2219' s fly but are a bit stiff. Even at your 31" draw length you would probably be better off with something like a 2213, especially with a light 125gr. head. Good Luck!

pyral 10-10-2003 03:48 PM

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. IrishLad I appreciate the recommendation for Leatherwall and I may give that a try. Longbowman, that was what I was waiting for was just a little bit of someone else' s opinion to nudge me into buying my dozen of 2216' s. I thank you both gentlemen...

Josh

c903 10-21-2003 11:17 PM

Recently built a set of " Easton" XX78' s in the 2219 size @ 32" for friend. He purchased the shafts out of Florida. The shafts were 35" long before cut and fletched with 4" feathers.

He is shooting a 62" TD Recurve @ 45 lb w/ Fast-Flight string, off the shelf, but his draw length puts his DW at approx 51 lbs. Bow has an 8.5" brace.

Prior to shooting these shafts, he was shooting 31" Easton 2413 XX78' s loaded with 125 grn heads. He was having left impact problem and small in-flight bobble.

We were concerned about the 4" fletch (feather) but thought he would shoot some test rounds before refletching with 5" feather. Within a few shots he was banging the center so tight at 15 and 20, he had to open his group to prevent cutting shafts.

The drop variance off the previous POA was obvious, but the flight was " slip-stream" clean and the shafts were " whacking" the target. He said he would live with the greater trajectory and a slower shaft for the flight and penetration energy he is now getting.

Art P had originally suggested 2216, but I bumped the size because of the " Fast-Flight" string and because friend might lengthen string to a 7.5 brace.