Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
New bowhunter this season! Points on starting? >

New bowhunter this season! Points on starting?

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

New bowhunter this season! Points on starting?

Old 09-16-2014, 05:04 AM
Fork Horn

It is fun and challenging. Most of your in accuracy will be due to bad form. Dropping bow arm before arrow hits it Mark, will cause a shot to low. Pulling your hand off your release point on your cheek, will pull your arrow right off. Take a tennisball and roll it on the ground. Wherever it stops shoot 2 arrows at it. Pick up your arrows and ball and repeat. It will help build instinctive ability. Focus on the spot you want to hit and you will hit it.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Centxrecurve
It is fun and challenging. Most of your in accuracy will be due to bad form. Dropping bow arm before arrow hits it Mark, will cause a shot to low. Pulling your hand off your release point on your cheek, will pull your arrow right off. Take a tennisball and roll it on the ground. Wherever it stops shoot 2 arrows at it. Pick up your arrows and ball and repeat. It will help build instinctive ability. Focus on the spot you want to hit and you will hit it.
You have learned well grasshopper.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:19 PM
Fork Horn

We'll good advise over the years has helped.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Turn archery practice...

into a hobby.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:27 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Don't get hung up on "instinctive". Some kind of aiming system will get you on target faster and more consistently.

Over time, with practice, aiming will become "instinctive"--you won't have to think about it and it will happen almost instantly. One of the best areal shooters I know is a "gap" shooter--he's done it for so long and practiced so much he can do it in an instant.

Don't let anyone convince you that you can't shoot a moving target or have to know exact yardage if you use an aiming system.

It may be tricky at first, but we all have to limit ourselves at first. It's part of the learning process.

Chad
Old 01-30-2016, 09:00 AM
Spike

Awesome info everyone. I didn't realize how old this thread was and how inactive I have been. I started a new career shortly after this and sadly I did not buy a bow and I barely rifle hunted since!! But my interest is still at its peak. And this year I have devoted myself to get into it. I have contacted many shops recently in search of deals and information, and naturally over the years I still find myself reading countless hunting and information books in my spare time.

I plan on buying a bow shortly and practicing regularly until season starts, then I will possibly use it for small game for good practise and step up to bigger game when I feel ready. I have been shooting friends bows when I can but a lot of them are not set up for my. I am set on purchasing either the Bear Montana Longbow or the Martin Saber. It will most likely be the longbow as I really like the look and style. My draw length is 29'' so im going in the 45# range, carbon arrows etc. Hopefully get to do some hunting this fall!!
Old 02-01-2016, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome back.
-Jake
Old 02-20-2016, 06:16 AM
Spike

Thanks. Still haven't bought my bow but I'm keeping my research up. I've decided on the Bear Montana. Aside from not being a takedown to increase the weight of the limbs later on I'm told it's a much better bow for only about $100CAD more. Shops also recommended that since I have a longer draw length at 29-30" and I'm a fairly big guy that buying a #45 or a #50 bow would be best even as a more beginner shooter. That way I won't "outgrow" the bow as fast and with the proper arrow setup it should still have significant energy to take down larger game such as Whitetail. The only game that I would actually consider buying a bigger bow for is Moose. Which have just as high of a population as whitetail in my area. But I've also heard of lots of guys hunting bull moose with #50 longbows. What's your guys/girls take on it?
Old 06-03-2016, 08:02 AM
Spike

I'm looking for buying a Samick Takedown Recurve Bow http://hunthacks.com/best-recurve-bo...wn_Recurve_Bow . Please give me some advice. Thanks all.

Last edited by Sirius081972; 06-03-2016 at 08:05 AM.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:16 AM
Spike

Hey guys I'm new here but just want to add two cents. Personally I could never seem to shoot as well w a production bow as I could w a custom. The shelf is cut lower n the arrow rides closer to the knuckle. The op stated he had money. Now used bows make help him start out faster n since the season is coming, he'd have to hurry n may be an option

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.