HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Archery (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery-19/)
-   -   In need of suggestions for best shaft spine, ASAP! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery/39166-need-suggestions-best-shaft-spine-asap.html)

c903 10-05-2003 09:16 PM

In need of suggestions for best shaft spine, ASAP!

I know this is not the way to select the right shaft for a individualized setup; however, the season is on and friend and I have determined -and " Arthur P" has correctly advised, that the shaft sizes recommended by Easton' s recent spine chart is not correct for a recurve; at least recent experience tends to indicate the chart is not correct.

Therefore, in order to expedite a change in shaft setup and quickly order some new aluminum (bare) shafts, we need to base the best choice of shaft size based on a popularity vote determined by personal use and experience, not what the spine charts recommend. Don' t have time to build and trial shoot a selection of spines

Here are the specs:

Bow 1:

A. 62" recurve, 45#@ 28" w/ shooter having 2" over draw to base of grip.

1. Fast-Flite string
2. Choice of shaft type and length is 32" Easton XX78 aluminum with uni-nock.
3. Shooting 125 grn. head.
4.Shooter is using broadhead adapter (glue on head) that weighs 26 grains.
5. Finger shooter.

Bow 2:

A. 64" recurve 45#@ 28" w/shooter having 2" over draw to base of grip.

1. Dacron B-50 16 strand string
2. Choice of shaft type and length is 32" Easton XX78 aluminum with uni-nock.
3. Shooting 125 grn. head.
4. Finger shooter.

If you are shooting the above specs or near the above specs, what shaft size are you shooting and getting good flight?

Thank you for your input.

C903

Arthur P 10-06-2003 06:54 AM

RE: In need of suggestions for best shaft spine, ASAP!

Your specs aren' t very off from what I shoot. 45#@28" , 32" draw, 33" arrow. 125 gn tips.

2216' s. I' d look no further. I' ve shot 2216' s on everything from 50 pound recurves to 80 pound round wheel compounds. They are as close to being a universal arrow as I' ve ever used.

Well, maybe I' d do a straddle check with 2117 and 2219 just to see how they compare, but I' m sure 2216 will shoot beautifully for you.

c903 10-06-2003 11:02 AM

Art:

I remembered that you recommended the 2216 in another thread.

Friend and I cancelled a half a day and a full day of hunting this weekend because both of us were still not satisfied with arrow flight. Sitting in field and constantly thinking about negative aspects about your gear and tune drastically affects your confidence and motivation.

To make a long story short, a full day of shooting in (again) this past Sunday revealed that all the pre-season shooting had restored the old " recurve" muscles and form, and (now) increased the necessary shaft length for both of us to 32" .

Additionally, we were able to lay our hands on some 2117' s, and although shorter than what our draw-length is, we were able to reasonably determine that the 2315' s we were shooting were the problem. Friend' s grouping came back onto POA, and my problem with occasional " porpoising" and " fishtailing" disappeared.

Now it is a matter of determining the better spine to go with without trial-shooting several spines because we do not have the time to do it without blowing a major portion of the " season." So I decided to to go the route as I have posted here.

Question, Art. Keeping in mind that friend is shooting off a " Fast Flite" string, and considering that that type of string is going to put some increased pressure on the shaft and possibly create a demand for more spine in the shaft, plus that he is shooting a 26 grn. bh adapter, do you believe he can get good flight with a 2216, or possibly he should go to a 32" @2219? I know that trying to mentally determine what may be the best spine is not the way to go, but because time is of the essence, we are forced to go with the best " off-shoulder" estimate at this time.

PS: Being able broadly seek input for this shooting situation (problem) confirms the beauty of the Internet and sites like this one. :)

Arthur P 10-06-2003 11:29 AM

Keeping in mind that friend is shooting off a " Fast Flite" string, and considering that that type of string is going to put some increased pressure on the shaft and possibly create a demand for more spine in the shaft, plus that he is shooting a 26 grn. bh adapter, do you believe he can get good flight with a 2216, or possibly he should go to a 32" @2219?
NO! 2219 is in the same spine class as 2315. If 2315 was overspined for both of you, then the 2219 would also be overspined.

Since the too short 2117' s were flying good for both of you, and 2315' s were flying bad, then you gotta snuggle in between those two to get longer arrows at the same spine, without going over. There are only three sizes that spine between the 2117 and 2315... 2216, 2314 or 2412. I like the 2216 because of the thicker walls and better durability.

str8narrow 10-06-2003 09:59 PM

I could never figure out why Easton keeps publishing those spine charts each year. I know they were revised a few years back, but even the updated ones were way off base.

Perhaps to sell more arrows?[:o]

arrowsmit 10-07-2003 06:36 PM

I may be way off base, but I think the Easton charts are prolly more suited for ultra-adjustable ' target style' bows.