Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Opening Day

Old 09-29-2013, 07:14 AM
Fork Horn

Default Opening Day

Well shot a 6 point buck late Saturday but, the loud bone crushing thump was a bad sound. He buckled and ran. I heard him crash twice and snort 3 times. Then all was quiet. Gave him some time to lay down. Found deep turning imprints but no blood. Followed path he ran and found broke arrow with blood on it. 200 grain broadhead and 1 1/2 of arrow are still in him. Arrow has a good 3 1/2 inches of red blood on it. So my two options are I hit shoulder on side I was aiming at since he was slightly hunkered down eating or I hit heart and lodges arrow in opposite shoulder. Giving crashes and buckled take off. I am gonna assume the latter. Of course to make it worse it started raining immediately after I shot him. So after about 3 hours of searching in the rain I called it a night. I am going back in the morning to hopefully find rack at least. On the bright side Mother Nature will eat well tonight.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:12 PM
Fork Horn

Well searched some more today with no luck. I do not like losing an animal.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:32 AM
Dominant Buck

Losing an animal is a sick feeling. Just remember, nothing is lost in nature. Yotes and buzzards got to eat. What is not eaten will be used by plants that will feed something later.

by the way, did you get my P.M. about your question regarding bamboo thickness? I got it kind of late. Since taking office, I have been real busy and don't get to come around here much.

Last edited by burniegoeasily; 10-01-2013 at 06:38 AM.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:04 AM
Fork Horn

Yes it is a sick feeling. I still think it was a fatal shot and I will continue to think that until I catch him limping around. No I did not see PM about bamboo thickness. How is thumb ring working out?
Old 10-01-2013, 07:30 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Centxrecurve
Yes it is a sick feeling. I still think it was a fatal shot and I will continue to think that until I catch him limping around. No I did not see PM about bamboo thickness. How is thumb ring working out?
Well shoot, I sent the PM about bamboo thickness. I assume it was you asking. I was between meeting in Abilene when I sent it. I answered and sent it pretty quick, it must not have gone through. My inbox got full so I deleted everything, that is why I assume the question came from you. I just do not recall.

The thumb ring is working out pretty good. Got my shot down. Now to find time to get out and hunt. I have to meet with Lawyers this weekend in Lubbock about Annexing a town (fun fun), but on my way home, I am going to try to sneak in a hunt.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:05 PM
Fork Horn

What are you doing now?
Old 10-02-2013, 05:02 AM
Dominant Buck

Running a science dept. and Mayor of our town. I just cant find enough to keep me busy.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:06 PM
Fork Horn

Busy busy lol.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:18 PM
Fork Horn

Well I hope everyone else is having better luck than me. I have seen nothing in the evenings. Hoping for some luck in the morning. Looking forward to cool front coming in.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:03 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Evenings are too dang hot here--in the 80's. I just don't like to hunt in the heat due to the meat spoiling if you don't find it quick. Saw some movement before daylight yesterday, couldn't tell what it was but after I left the blind there were deer tracks in that spot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.