Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Tab or glove ?

Old 08-05-2013, 01:42 AM
Spike

Default Tab or glove ?

Which do you guys prefer and why? What are good brands of either style? I just want to make sure I get something that is well made and accurate. Thanks
Old 08-05-2013, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Glove... just felt better to me.

I use some cheap brand, but works well enough. I don't think a glove or tab is going to make or break you, so long as you can get a consistent release and it's comfortable for you.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:02 PM
Spike

Thanks guys. I shot with a glove about 17 years ago but have not tried a tab. Decided to pull the old bear Kodiak out of retirement.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:51 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

BTW, I have yet to see anybody in the Olympics shooting a glove
They normally shoot a tab with a ledge, for anchoring under the chin. They also use elevated rests, cushion plungers, vanes, scopes, etc. Point being, it's not much of a comparison compared to what most of us use for 3-D and hunting.

That being said, many of the better shots I know use a tab. I used to use a tab, now I use a glove. Tried switching back some time ago, just couldn't make it work. Probably more mental than anything else.

In either a glove or tab, get one that fits you properly. I prefer cordovan--takes longer to break in, but it lasts.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:21 PM
Spike

Thanks Lbr, I tried a tab today at the archery shop and definitely prefer the glove. Who makes a good cordovan glove?
Old 08-08-2013, 08:15 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Hard call...my favorite used to be the ABS "Super Glove", with kangaroo hide. They no longer offer the kangaroo (incredibly tough leather), and moved their manufacturing facility to China so the quality just isn't the same. I still have 3 or 4 of the old ones, so I'm set for several years.

American Leathers gets good reviews, as does Bateman. They aren't cheap, but look to be well made.

I won't order a glove through the mail--just can't get a good fit that way. Besides the size varying a touch from one to the other, leather itself can vary. I have to try it on before I buy, even with places that tell you to send in a trace of your hand (tried it--waste of time and money).

When buying a leather glove, I want one that, when new, fits so tight I can barely shove my fingers into it. That way, when it's broken in, it fits just right. If it fits good when new, when you break it in it will be loose.

Products like Montanna Pitch Blend, Sno-Seal, or most any good leather treatment will help speed up the break-in process, and help protect the leather as well.

Chad
Old 08-08-2013, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have an old glove that I used when I finger shot a compound twenty plus years ago that is well broke in. I use it on my recurve now.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:37 PM
Spike

Thanks for the advice LBRI. I agree, will try the glove on before I buy it. Traditional supplies are hard to find, been to two archery shops and nothing good. If it doesn't have wheels they are clueless.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:53 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Should be some good tournaments up your way where you can find vendors--they may be done for the year though.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:38 PM
Spike

Most of our shoots here are done by the end of august but i may check out our sportsman's club. I found a shop not too far from my house, the guy shoots traditional and was very helpful. I had to order the glove but at least there is someone in the area that doesn't only deal with compounds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.