Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 New Bow Takes " Trophy?"  Buck >

New Bow Takes " Trophy?" Buck

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

New Bow Takes " Trophy?" Buck

Old 09-23-2003, 10:34 AM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

Default New Bow Takes " Trophy?" Buck

Saturday, September 21st, 6:45 pm...

I was hunting on the edge of a turnip field on a friend' s property in Juneau County, Wisconsin when the type of buck I' ve always wanted to take stepped into the field directly behind me. He turned to look away and I sent a Zwickey after him. I haven' t had him score yet, but he should just barely miss P&Y...by about 110" . []

He was a spike with little browtines. Did I mention he was still in full velvet? I' ve always wanted a velvet whitetail. So, I burned my only state-wide WI either-sex tag (non-CWD area) on a fat scrub buck with fuzzy antlers. The meat' s in the freezer--except for the sirloins we ate last night--and that neat little rack will look cool on the wall.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:02 PM

Default RE: New Bow Takes " Trophy?" Buck

Congrats Jason! I can' t believe he was still in velvet. I was down at my land last weekend and saw a 150 class buck. (Not in velvet) Stalked to within 25 yards of 2 turkeys too. Can' t wait till season opens in Illinois! Dick
Old 09-23-2003, 01:37 PM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

Dick,

Before we went out hunting that afternoon I was looking at some recent trail camera photos from the property. There was another buck still in velvet too. He had a goofey little rack--sort of like a tiny caribou.

Old 09-23-2003, 03:34 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Congrats Jason! Man, not long until our season opens. The way it' s looking, it won' t even be in the 90' s either--whoo-hooo!!!! Should still be several around with velvet here for a little while yet.

Chad
Old 09-23-2003, 05:36 PM
COB

JRW now stop that! You know it' s the loose nut behind the wheel that causes all the damage! Tell it like it is! JRW, not a new bow, with a new bow took a TROPHY! You kids now days!
Old 09-23-2003, 05:43 PM

Jason,
I' m going to pick up a camera or two and try and find out what' s on my property! Dick
Old 09-23-2003, 07:41 PM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

COB,

If I agree to that, what am I going to blame when I screw up?
Old 09-24-2003, 08:25 PM
Fork Horn

Jason, you can blame it on the economy, blame it on Al Queado and/or terrorists, or blame it on Pres. Bush. The choice is your' s.

Congrats on the deer. Did you get some pics? There' s something about a buck in velvet that just looks cool. I doubt I' ll be getting one in Ohio though since the season doesn' t open ' till October. Is the " new bow" that Palmer you' ve mentioned?

Brandan
Old 09-24-2003, 08:28 PM
Typical Buck

A buck in velvet, kewl Jason, congrats dude! Our season opened way early this year (Sept 6th) & a velvet antlered buck was a real possibilty for me too. But even tho I' ve seen a decent (2.5 yr old 8pt, 115 in. +/-) a few times, the shot opportunity hasn' t materialized yet. He already seems to have ESP, or whatever it is that keeps some of ' em out of trouble. You know, ambling down a trail, directly toward the ambush, then for no apparent reason, turns & casually walks away. I saw him (from 45-50 yds) yesterday & he' d shed all his velvet except a small bit on his right antler, & I bet even that' s gone now. Oh well, I' m still after him, only drawback being that I ain' t gonna shoot any does in there...for now. (If he keeps demonstrating that telepathy I may get weak. >grin&lt Congrats again on your buck Jason, & good luck to you (& everyone) the rest of the season!
Old 09-25-2003, 08:38 AM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

Brandan,

Good advice on the blame thing. I' ll have to kick that one around a while.

I did burn some slide film on him, which I' ll pick up tomorrow on my lunch break. It takes them something like a week to make prints from slides, so it' ll be a while before I get anything back that I can scan in.

-------------------

Vic,

stay on that buck. I' m sure he' ll be hanging on the meat pole (yours) in no time. He' s bound to screw up sooner or later.

Quick Reply: New Bow Takes " Trophy?" Buck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.