Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
Poll: 3 under or Split? >

Poll: 3 under or Split?

Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!
View Poll Results: What string grip do you use?
Split
53.57%
3 Under
42.86%
Something else or depends on situation
3.57%
What are you talking about?
0%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: 3 under or Split?

Old 03-27-2013, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Poll: 3 under or Split?

Hey all,

What style do you use for string grip and why?

I've only shot my bow about 150 times, the first 100 shots were using the split (1 over, 2 under) grip and the last 50 were using the 3 under grip.

My groups using the 3 under grip were noticeably better than the groups utilizing the split grip. My nock set is about 1/4 inch above center.

Using the 3 under grip, I was able to better find my anchor point every time, because when I brought my middle finger to the corner of my mouth, it allowed me to touch the feathers of the arrow to the tip of my nose. This gave me 2 solid points of contact that was pretty hard to ignore or miss.

Anyway, let me know what you use and why... I'm not sure if the 3 under is working better for me because I'm a beginner and this is just a much easier anchor to "confrim" at full draw, but I was drilling them. It was a night and day difference.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

I used Split because that was the way I was taught.But 3 under is better with the Shorter Magnum Bows,less pinch.

big rockpile
Old 03-28-2013, 04:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by big rockpile
I used Split because that was the way I was taught.But 3 under is better with the Shorter Magnum Bows,less pinch.

big rockpile
I'm teaching myself, so I didn't really have a preference before the other day.

I just feel like finding my anchor is much easier with 3 under and my release is much cleaner than the split... that may change again at some point, but since this is working the best for now, I'm going with it.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:01 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I can shoot either way, depending on the bow and situation. I shoot mostly split, because that's how I learned. Either way can work fine--use the one that feels best to you.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

I shoot split with my middle finger anchored in the corner of my mouth.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Shot split for 20 plus years. I tried three under for about four years. Shot many animals that way, but did not like the feel. I went back to split fingers about two seasons ago.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:31 PM
Spike

3 under. I can shoot split, sorta. Nowhere near as accurate or consistent as 3 under for me. The 3 under gives me a cleaner release, I prefer the sight picture, allows me to use different anchors based upon distance, and I get no stray flyers due to my fat ol' sausage fingers doing weird things to the nock end of the arrow.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Split...that's how I was taught 45 yrs ago. I tried 3 under and it just feels too weird to me to really try and develop that style
Old 04-14-2013, 07:34 AM
Spike

I shoot a recurve with no sights. Shooting 3 under lets me gunbarrel the arrow. I would use whatever works best for you.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by tcshooter
I shoot a recurve with no sights. Shooting 3 under lets me gunbarrel the arrow. I would use whatever works best for you.
I shoot no sights as well, but haven't found the "gunbarrel" method all that effective (for me).

I'm staring intently at the target and the arrow fuzzes out pretty well... I know at 20 yards my tip is about 3 - 4" below the impact point, but I never really focus on the shaft.

If I do try to aim down the arrow, I get a lot of high-right flyers... go figure. Not sure if it has something to do with the angle of my head or what, but it feels goofy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.