Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Instinctive shooting

Old 01-08-2013, 05:27 AM
Fork Horn

Default Instinctive shooting

I started bow hunting 40 years ago with an American Archery recurve. After hunting for years with a compound, I am interested in getting back to traditional archery. I'm looking for any info regarding instinctive shooting technique, form, arrows, etc. Any info on books, videos on the subject would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:16 AM
Fork Horn

Do you still have a bow in condition to shoot?
Old 01-09-2013, 02:38 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

"Masters of the Barebow III" is the best video I know of.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by LBR
"Masters of the Barebow III" is the best video I know of.
I agree its a good starting point. These guys are topnotch shooters, I watched it a few different times and pick and choose my information that works for me. The most important thing, if it works good for you keep doing the same thing! Consistency is key in my opinion!
Old 01-13-2013, 12:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Byron Ferguson has a good book on instinctive shootin but I don't recall the title. Wetpwdr, you're the same as me. I still putter with the recurve. But I can remember back when that's all we had. I killed my first 5 deer with a Bear Grizzly 45#.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:41 AM
Fork Horn

It's called "Become The Arrow" by Byron Ferguson
Old 01-16-2013, 02:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default Instinctive shooting

Thanks guys for the good gouge. Some good resources.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

The Archer's Bible by Fred Bear is also a good read.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:06 AM
Spike

Smile

G Fred Asbell has some books and tapes on ISing. No matter the aiming method a good form foundation is an absolute necessity.

I would recommend you integrate a sequence into your shot and learn each step until you have it ingrained before you actually try to hit something.

As others have mentioned, MBB series is a great reference and especially #3 DVD.

Pay attention to Rod Jenkins and start out with at least a 7 step sequence.

A lot of people get tore up and argue over aiming methods and is absolutely a waste of time.

Actually, form is the absolute while aiming is a more subjective subject.

I would educate myself about the different methods of aiming and make a decision based upon your own goals and expectations.

My shooting has continually evolved over the years and has pretty much leveled out to the "Style" I prefer.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Had to add something to this thread... after picking up a recurve in March, and pouring over the available info out there on instinctive shooting, I can't see how anything written or recorded can really help with learning "how" to become proficient with instinctive shooting.

We're told that form is the #1 thing to get down pat, consistent form with every shot. Is that different from shooting a compound with 1 pin? 3 pins? 10? No.

So what does the difference come down to? Range estimation and "aiming."

I can't explain how to estimate range to anyone. It's a learned skill and takes a lot of practice to get down. You can tell someone, "while walking down the street, pick a point and estimate the range. Then walk to it and see if you were close or not."

That's a method to learn, but it can't be shown first-hand. You have to go out and learn it yourself.

Then you get to aiming. The #1 thing you hear is "Burn a hole in the POA with your eyes, intensely focus on the spot you want to hit. Execute the shot with perfect (as near as possible) form."

That's a great tip, but not a true way to "show" someone how to shoot instinctively. I can watch Fred Bear shoot all day, but I can't glean much from it other than to say, "wow, that guy was good."

You have to get to the range and practice. I will argue that there is no "proper sequence" to shooting a traditional bow. Say you have what "experts" would call "bad form," but you hit the X every time.

Would you change your shooting habits because a book or video or flesh-and-blood person tells you to?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.