Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
minimum speed for hunting >

minimum speed for hunting

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

minimum speed for hunting

Old 09-25-2012, 06:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default minimum speed for hunting

I'm thinking of building some PVC recurves and/or longbows over the winter for knockaround bows, something fun to do and to give away to friends to get them shooting.

How fast does an arrow need to be to hunt Whitetails (let's say 20yds max)?

How fast for bowfishing?

p.s.
I apologize if I'm in the wrong section. I figured Tradbow guys would know more about ethical arrow speeds and KE.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:47 AM
Spike

I have not run across a question like this before--- I'm a Trad bowman I know the minimum poundage here in Louisiana is around the 40# mark. But I've never heard of a minimum speed requirment.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:20 AM
Typical Buck

I don't mean from a legal standpoint. Just a question of what is needed to get the job done. The bows I'm thinking about should pull sufficient weight 40-50lbs. Perhaps the appropriate question to ask would be moreso a question of arrow selection than the bow itself?
Old 09-26-2012, 11:59 AM
Spike

You must match your arrow to your bow by that I mean you have to find which spine weight is thebest for the bow you are using regardless of the bow's stated lbs @ it's draw lenght A rule of thumb is 10 to 15# heavier spine weight than the draw weight of the bow. i.e. A 45# bow shold be pushing an arrow of 55 to 60 # spine weight.
There are variables to consider; if using a fast flight string add 5# to spine weight. Remember though each bow is an indiviual what is sauce for the goose may not be sauce for the gander. For instance the bow I shoot (a recurve) uses arrows rated in the 60 to 65# spine weight with a 160gr point and FF string. The bow itself is rated @ 47# at my DL of 30" so ideally my bow should launch an arrow with the SW of 62#
The bowyer recommended a SW of 80 to 85#! with a125gr. point Which would make the arrow way too stiff. A supplier of shafts recommended a SW of 65 to 70# w/ 145 gr. points again way too stiff. I finally settled on the 60 65# SW with the 160gr points and am satisfied as I can now group my arrows within a 7" circle @15 & 20yds on qa fairly consistant basis IF I do my part.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:45 AM
Dominant Buck

As already mentioned, you will need the right spine arrow, which is a measure of how much the arrow will bend. With that said, foc will affect your spine. The more head weight you have, the heavier spine you will need. Where as the opposite is true for a lighter head. A lighter spine will be needed for a lighter head. What you are trying to accomplish is getting your arrow paradox to curve around your riser/grip with no contact.

AS for speed, speed is relative. Kinetic Energy is the key. I am a bowyer, and my personal hunting bows for Boar, Deer, and the likes, I tiller to pull around 65-70lbs at my draw. Which is more than needed, you can get by with 45lbs. The key is to get a heavy enough arrow and enough foc to penetrate. With my bows, I like to have a 550-600 + grain arrow, with a head ranging from 125 grains to 165 grains, which gives me about a 11% to as much as 18% foc, respectively. Some like even more foc and go with up to 200 grain heads. I have not hunted with a light bow, but have made many for other people. With 45lb bows bows set up for deer, I set them up with 350+ grain arrow and around 14% foc. It seems to do the trick.

All of the above will need to be accounted for when getting a bow ready to hunt with. When all that is taken care of, shooting form is the next step.

Last edited by burniegoeasily; 09-28-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:00 PM
Typical Buck

thanks guys =)
Old 10-01-2012, 03:46 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Shooting through deer is not much harder than shooting through a paper sack. My best friend's daughter has killed a few with a recurve pulling about 22-23# @ 22" with arrows around 400 grains. At least one of hers was a big doe at approximately 26 yds. She's not getting pass-throughs, but she is getting dead deer. She's using Beman ICS Junior carbon arrows and Ace 2-blade broadheads (125 grain). No idea what her KE, Momentum, or FOC is.

The key is good arrow flight, very sharp broadheads, and excellent shot placement. We haven't chronographed them, but I'd be shocked if she's getting more than 130-150 fps.

I believe it was Primitive Archer that did an article a year or three ago about penetration in a deer. The fellow who wrote the article used a fresh-killed deer, a very poorly made selfbow (his description--I think he made it) that was pulling around 40#, and stone points on wood and cane arrows. His results were impressive--plenty of penetration.

Hogs can be a different story--especially larger ones.

Chad
Old 10-13-2012, 06:43 PM
Typical Buck

LBR, those numbers impress the heck outta me. I know the KE charts are only a guideline, but dang. that setup should only be putting out 20 ft-lbs. Easton recommends 25 ft-lbs minimum for deer.

Did she accomplish that in Mississippi?
Old 10-14-2012, 10:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

speed doesn't matter - a well tuned bow, greater than the min weight your state requires and a heavy arrow with a sharp 2 blade broadhead

and your ability to shoot it
Old 10-15-2012, 08:18 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

It was in MS (Northeast)--the one "big doe" was around 100#--a big one for this part of the country. I wouldn't reccomend hunting with a 25# bow, but that was the most she could shoot accurately--it did the job just fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.