Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
minimum speed for hunting >

minimum speed for hunting

Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

minimum speed for hunting

Old 10-15-2012, 09:27 AM
Typical Buck

Shooting isn't a problem. I know my range limitation with this bow. It's got enough weight. It is pulling about 45# @ 28". Speed right around 150fps.(bare string) but I don't have any heavy arrows. The best I can put together is a 370gr. Cabela's carbon hunter 8.4gpi. With NAP Thunderheads 125gr. with such a light arrow I'm not sure if it'd be worth a try or just stick to my compound this season

I'll be hunting central MS later this week while I'm on leave hopefully. The deer I've seen aren't exactly tanks. That's what makes me wonder if it's possible

Last edited by Seif5034; 10-15-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Seif5034
Shooting isn't a problem. I know my range limitation with this bow. It's got enough weight. It is pulling about 45# @ 28". Speed right around 150fps.(bare string) but I don't have any heavy arrows. The best I can put together is a 370gr. Cabela's carbon hunter 8.4gpi. With NAP Thunderheads 125gr. with such a light arrow I'm not sure if it'd be worth a try or just stick to my compound this season

I'll be hunting central MS later this week while I'm on leave hopefully. The deer I've seen aren't exactly tanks. That's what makes me wonder if it's possible
yeah, stick through with the compound this year. practice up fer next year.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default With todays speed, speed, speed

bows will get so fast, they'll all be too fast for felons to shoot one.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:26 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Valentine
bows will get so fast, they'll all be too fast for felons to shoot one.
I hear ya. That's why I'm trying to slow it down a bit. It'll be nice to get back to basics. PSE stinger (not a really fast bow) with a 400 grain arrow throws a 400gr arrow with an unnecesary amount of KE for the largest whitetail
Old 11-03-2012, 01:44 PM
Spike

it is not the speed that kills deer it is the silent well placed shot, no bow will ever be fast enough to out run an alert deer at 20 yards, if they jump and you haven't compensated your aim then you miss or hit too high, this is why i always go for the quietest bow possible then speed,, before all you speed guys jump the string on me , remember this is only MY opinion and everyone has one
Old 12-06-2012, 02:05 PM
Spike

This thread has given me a lot of things to think about.

I was told double bladed broadheads had more penetration than three or four blades on a broadhead when using a recurve bow. Is that correct?
Old 12-06-2012, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bugman62
This thread has given me a lot of things to think about.

I was told double bladed broadheads had more penetration than three or four blades on a broadhead when using a recurve bow. Is that correct?
it would have a lil more resistance, but if they are sharp they should go just as, or almost as deep as a 2. penetration has alot to do with shot placement too
Old 12-07-2012, 08:02 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
it would have a lil more resistance, but if they are sharp they should go just as, or almost as deep as a 2. penetration has alot to do with shot placement too
I appreciate the information.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:27 AM
Fork Horn

Default speed

speed does matter and it matter a whole lot. deer jumping the string, trajectory, energy are some of the reasons. a certain amount of energy is required for proper penetration but that can be gotten from speed or mass, try shooting a lead pipe in your bow, see where that gets ya. true, a lighter arrow will slow down faster, same for a bullet but that is at a range you need not be overly concerned with. with lighter bows and lighter arrows use smaller broadheads like three blade or especially two blade that have been honed. over a large number of kills, the best of them are from pass through and the reasons are many, forget the expanding kind, even if they were any good, you won't have the power in a light bow to open them. my indian archery 45 lb recurve from the 70's shoots a hunting arrow, 2016, at 170 fps, that's pretty reasonable and with a set up similar to that have had a complete pass through on an elk shot though the lungs at 30 yds. any recurve that can shoot a hunting arrow at barely over 200 fps. is unusual and really fast

cheers
Old 02-26-2013, 08:39 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

speed does matter and it matter a whole lot. deer jumping the string, trajectory, energy are some of the reasons.
Speed can help on a longer shot, but isn't a cure-all. No bow--not even the fastest compound--is faster than a deer's reflexes.

[QUOTE] a certain amount of energy is required for proper penetration but that can be gotten from speed or mass, try shooting a lead pipe in your bow, see where that gets ya.[/QUOTE]

Not exactly a fair comparison. The other end would be to try shooting a feather or ping-pong ball from your bow and see where that gets you.

I don't like super light or super heavy. It blows my mind to see points weighing 200+ grains. I think this came about when people were trying to get carbons that weren't offered in low enough spine to shoot from lighter recurves and longbows. Just a guess. Also makes me scratch my head when I see 65 grain broadheads. Mr. Bear didn't seem to have a problem killing stuff with 125 grain heads.

I personally don't use expandables, I don't recommend them, but there's been great improvements made on them over the years and some use them sucessfully. I just don't see any point in adding expense and moving parts when fixed heads have been proven to do the job just fine over the years.

Chad

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.