HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Archery (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery-19/)
-   -   adjustment help (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery/36736-adjustment-help.html)

Kip 09-04-2003 06:32 PM

adjustment help

Today I made an adjustment on the brace height of my Crusader. It was right at 7" . I moved it to 7 1/4" , and the arrows went everywhere. I then brought it down to 6 3/4" , and the arrows hit right where I want them to. But...............its what the arrows are doing between the bow, and the bag that I dont like. The arrows appear to be " corkscrewing" their way to the target. The are hitting right where I want, but they look ugly on the way. What would you suggest I try now? My nockpoint is 5/8" above level. The ugly arrow flight is not as noticable at 10-15 yards, but at 20-30 yards it is VERY noticable. Help me out, season is approaching fast.

IrishLad32 09-04-2003 08:00 PM

RE: adjustment help

What was wrong with it that you changed it in the first place? Are you sure it isn' t the arrow in paradox? It seems that if the arrow were actually corkscrewing it wouldn' t hit where you wanted it to, but rather catch the air and dive. Have you bare shafted? Is the corkscrewing going on more at the beginning of the shot or the end?

Brandan

Wingbone 09-05-2003 04:27 AM

Back your brace height off until your arrows fly straight. If your brace height is too low, you' ll get bad flight. I' d bet your bow is noisier too.

JRW 09-05-2003 08:20 AM

Strip some fletching and bareshaft tune the bow. Corkscrewing is generally caused by a combonation of tuning problems. It' s best to isolate them one at a time.

Kip 09-06-2003 07:37 PM

Ok, I changed the brace height because the arrows were not flying perfect. No matter what way I move the brace height, they arent right. So, today I peeled off the fletching. At 10 yards, the arrows are hitting the target with the nock up, and a little to the right. This nock up flight is VERY noticable.

Here' s what I have. I am shooting a 62" Crusader, LEFT HANDED, 55#@28" , and my draw is 29" . I am sure that I am getting consistant anchor and stance. Today during the frustration period, I started canting the bow more, and less. It seems like the more I cant my bow, the less noticable the " nock high" impact is. I am shooting arrows that are spined 65-70, and they are 31" in length.

I dont have an archery shop near me with anyone that knows anything about longbows, their all compound shooters, and just shake their heads when I ask questions. Hopefully someone here can help me out, before I short-circuit.

Oh, anyone know a website that tells exactly how to tune a longbow? I cant find one.

Tuffcity 09-06-2003 07:54 PM

Kip,

try this one: [link]http://www.bowmaker.net/tuning.htm[/link]

RC

Kip 09-07-2003 09:41 AM

Thanks Tuff, thats exactly what I was looking for.

Today I did a little adjusting. I know, I know, too late in the year to be messing with things. First thing I did was give my sealskin a haircut. The side plate was full length hair, because I forgot to trim it when I changed it last week.[:' (] I also brought the brace height back to where it was, 7 3/8" . The nock point is back to its original 5/8" . So far, they seem to be flying well, except for the bare shafts. They like to eat dirt at the front of the target. I' ll work on that more when I return from training for work. Hopefully everything pulls together soon. Thanks for the help.

arrowsmit 09-07-2003 01:37 PM

Kip, lots of ppl can' t get rid of some amt. of ' nock high' when bareshaft tuning, especially off a shelf rest. Have you shot fletched broadhead arrows? How do they fly & group compared to fld pts?

VicW.

missedagain 09-10-2003 09:24 AM

I don' t know much about the Crusader but your arrows could be underspined. I shoot a McCullough Griffin longbow that is 59 @ 29. That is pretty much what you are pulling at your 29" draw. I am pretty much close to center shot and I need 75-80 spines for my 30" bop arrows.