HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Archery (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery-19/)
-   -   45 vs 50 pounds for hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery/367077-45-vs-50-pounds-hunting.html)

stripercrazy 06-29-2012 03:49 PM

45 vs 50 pounds for hunting

i'm going to get a sade bow and 45 pounds is legal hunt in rhode island, i've allready have arrows there 2117's 125 grain broadheads...i got a 29 inch draw....will this be ok penatration wise and arrow speed?...should i think of going to 50 or 55 pounds? i haven't shot traditional in years(many) and 45 may be easyer for 51 year old body...is 45 enough? thanks ed...

junxingcrossbow 06-29-2012 04:41 PM

i think 45pounds is ok!

Bernie P. 06-30-2012 04:54 AM

45 is enough but those 2117's will be to stiff.Get some 2018 arrows or go with a heavier weight bow.

LBR 06-30-2012 01:36 PM

45 is plenty for deer, black bear, turkey...some have taken elk and moose with that poundage and lighter.

Draw weight is only one part of the equation. 2117's will likely be too stiff unless you go way heavy with your points.

Good arrow flight is essential to good penetration--a wobbly arrow kills penetration.

The Sage is a dandy bow--you could do a lot worse and spend a lot more money doing it.

Chad

stripercrazy 07-01-2012 08:21 AM

thanks for the help I'll match the arrows to the bows power, I wasn't thinking about the arrows flyte, i was thinking weight of arrow for penatration....thanks

LBR 07-01-2012 07:02 PM

Arrow flight is only one part of the equation, but a critical one. I have a few examples...

Several years ago (when I was a good bit younger, stronger, and dumber) I went bowfishing one night with a bow I was pulling around 125# on (it was 98@28, and I bottomed out a bowfishing arrow at full draw). Got tons of shots, but couldn't get a fish for love nor money, and didn't understand why--my arrows seemed to be hitting the spot. Got a shot well into the light, and saw the problem--my arrows were so underspined that they hit at an angle. Even though the shot was true, as soon as it hit the water it shot off in a different direction.

A few years ago, I was shooting an aireal novelty. The club had limited space, so the thrower only launched the targets maybe 8-10 feet high with backstop netting to stop any arrow that missed. I was shooting 66#, arrows weighed in at around 625-640 grains. I thought my flight was pretty good...actually it was pretty good, but not perfect. Along comes Rod Jenkins shooting a bow in the mid to low 40's. He missed, and his arrow actually went through the netting--reason being was because his gear was tuned so well, and his release was so good, that he was out-penetrating a set-up that was 20+ lbs heavier!

Made a believer out of me.......

stripercrazy 07-15-2012 05:11 AM

thanks again....ed