HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Archery (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery-19/)
-   -   Finally got time to shoot my new samick sage (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery/363246-finally-got-time-shoot-my-new-samick-sage.html)

wv bow hunter 04-28-2012 06:55 PM

Finally got time to shoot my new samick sage

Must say that the price of this bow doesn't even come close to reflecting the performance, very smooth draw, accurate( even though I was only shooting 15 yds) only problem was kept getting my arm slapped by the string .. This is my first recurve so not sure if the arm slap was from my form or if it's typical from a traditional bow, but would highly reccomend this bow to any one

scout4 04-29-2012 03:43 PM

wv bow hunter, you are right about the sage. Its a very good bow for the money! Mine is a lefty, and I think its a really well made bow. I shoot lighter weight and cedar arrows. Anyway, probably the reason for your arm slap is you are canting the bow to far. Try straighting up shooting and bend your elbow a bit. You also may extending your draw to much, and that would put the string into you arm. Good luck with your new sage! scout4

Lynnjones 04-30-2012 08:45 AM

well said scout! (:

LBR 04-30-2012 06:18 PM

I've gone through several of them in my shop--great bows, great price.

The arm slap is generally caused by one of two things: if you are "double jointed", just get an arm guard and be done with it. An arm guard is a good idea anyway, as it helps protect you if you have a damaged arrow that breaks on release (had it happen to me once), and in cooler weather it keeps your sleeve out of the way.

It could also be your form. Most everyone has a tendency to lock their elbow when shooting, which basically points it straight down (toward the ground). Turn your elbow out, at a 90 degree angle, and it should get your forearm out of the way. This works regardless of the amount of cant. Practice by making a fist and putting your knuckles flat against the wall, then rotate your elbow out. You can do this without moving the angle of your fist--do the same with a bow in your hand.

Chad

bigboomer 05-10-2012 04:41 AM

Also, check and see how you are gripping the bow. A lot of wheel shooters put the grip deep in the heel of their hand, and on Traditional equipment this will cause the forearm to be real close to the string.
+ 1 on your choice of bow,

Bernie P. 05-10-2012 05:17 AM

Most folks have arm slap at first but with practice things fall into place.You might try experimenting with the brace height.If it's a little low that can contribute to it along with form.Good luck!

scout4 05-10-2012 02:50 PM

wvbow, are you still into shooting that sage? If so, how you doing with it? I have found that in time a person will develop their own method/form of shooting a recurve that is comfortable for them and it can very well become a natural shooting rhythm unique for that person. scout4
My sage is a good bow to!

burniegoeasily 06-15-2012 07:00 PM

Check brace.