HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Archery (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery-19/)
-   -   My first Recurve bow (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery/355981-my-first-recurve-bow.html)

Peadjis 12-26-2011 12:46 AM

My first Recurve bow

Hello all,
Just got into traditional archery about a month ago. Usually I just use crossbows.

Bought myself a Samick Lightning 30#.

Here is a picture.

I'm quite happy with it and am taking weekly archery lessons.

Any tips and tricks for a beginner?

Also I wasn't sure if this went in target archery or traditional archery, since it is kind of both..

halfbakedi420 12-26-2011 03:59 PM

right on..traditional takes alot of time and dedication..mostly just have fun and be safe.
as ya shoot you will have 1st have knowledge.
those classes will help alot.

LBR 12-26-2011 07:01 PM

Looks like you are on the right track--just keep up the good work.

Chad

Peadjis 12-27-2011 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by hookeye (Post 3894566)
Neat bow, I'd get some Judo points and make that a bunny blaster!

I might consider doing that, once I get some experience. Right now I'm shooting accurately out to 15 yards. And by accurately I mean about 3-4 inch groupings.

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420 (Post 3894618)
right on..traditional takes alot of time and dedication..mostly just have fun and be safe.
as ya shoot you will have 1st have knowledge.
those classes will help alot.

Right now my teacher tends to say that my grip on the bow is too tight and I've noticed that as well. Been working on it though, seems to be that when I release the string I think that the bow will fly out of my hand unless I grip it tight.

We were also testing my arrow's stiffness and apparently my predator II's are a bit too stiff for my bow, later on once I build up some strength I'll most likely get a second pair of limbs and up the draw weight a bit and then it'll be just about perfect.

Will still be a while until then though, the only upright bows I've shot were compound, so holding 30# is already a bit high for me.

Originally Posted by LBR (Post 3894689)
Looks like you are on the right track--just keep up the good work.

Chad

Thanks.

Night Wing 12-27-2011 06:42 AM

Nice looking bow.

You don't need a lot of poundage for deer hunting. I've been bowhunting now for 47 years and if you take a look at my signature, you can see the bow poundages of my two recurves.

halfbakedi420 12-27-2011 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Peadjis (Post 3894742)

Right now my teacher tends to say that my grip on the bow is too tight and I've noticed that as well. Been working on it though, seems to be that when I release the string I think that the bow will fly out of my hand unless I grip it tight.

Thanks.

i dont shoot traditional, but i do use a strap on my bow around my wrist, that way when i shoot, i just let the bow "fall" if you will, but the strap keeps it on my wrist. the strap isnt tight at all, its very loose, i can pull my hand in and out with no adjustments. you should open yer hand if you will before the shot,imo, to get the best shot.

Peadjis 12-27-2011 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Night Wing (Post 3894804)
Nice looking bow.

You don't need a lot of poundage for deer hunting. I've been bowhunting now for 47 years and if you take a look at my signature, you can see the bow poundages of my two recurves.

Thanks.

I can get some new limbs for 100€(about $140), available in 5# increments all the way to 60#. I was thinking of getting a pair of 40# before I go back to Canada.(currently in Austria).

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420 (Post 3894818)
i dont shoot traditional, but i do use a strap on my bow around my wrist, that way when i shoot, i just let the bow "fall" if you will, but the strap keeps it on my wrist. the strap isnt tight at all, its very loose, i can pull my hand in and out with no adjustments. you should open yer hand if you will before the shot,imo, to get the best shot.

Hmm, so a bow/finger sling? I've seen those before, my teacher uses one. I tend to use my pointer finger and my thumb to hold the bow loosely, but I might look into a finger sling sometime.

LBR 12-29-2011 08:55 AM

I tend to use my pointer finger and my thumb to hold the bow loosely,...
That works well. Some shooter turn the other fingers in, behind the riser, so there is no way to torque. A sling works, but if you plan to compete it may not be legal for some tournaments. For me, it's just something else to keep up with (or loose).

Chad

Peadjis 01-01-2012 09:17 AM

Seems about right yep, I've been getting steadier shots as of now and working on my releases.

I find that if I don't concentrate 100% and take my time I make bad releases and pull the string off to the right. Also resewed my finger guard, it was starting to fall apart on me.

edit: Meant 'Tab' not finger guard. :p

Peadjis 01-01-2012 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by hookeye (Post 3896557)
You can add a bow quiver to get the mass weight up and lessen bow jump at the shot. I actually prefer my bows to have quivers on them, but then I hunt with them.

I was actually just considering to that, I can admit as a traditional archery noob that I wasn't thinking about mass weight when I was considering one, more just convenience :p

But yea, I get what you mean.

I will probably hunt with it as well, once I get better, probably just squirrels though :happy0001:

Grip is index and middle finger touching front of riser, by thumb tip, other fingers curled to side. Loose grip but just a bit of finger tip pressure.

Steadies even some of the more jumpy factory bow setups pretty well. Good tune on better bows.........sweet.

Never open handed, no sling either (recurve).

Hm, the grip you explain is pretty much what I had been doing and when I say pretty much I mean more it was what I was trying to do.
But my archery teacher says that when someone looks at you from a profile angle that he should not be able to see any fingers besides your pointer and thumb, the other way he explained it was that only two fingers should ever touch the bow.

I will talk to him about it.

Perfect followthrough, same grip...........yrs ago when I blew an 82# PSE Mach 4 riser in half, cracked right through the shelf.

Nobody of better ability I've seen (maybe regional but I used to get out a bit) shoots an open hand.

I've never seen that bow before, what sort of bow is it?

The only bow I've ever cracked appart was a longbow I made back when I was 10. AmIcoolYet? :wink: