HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Archery (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery-19/)
-   -   Selway bow stringer (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery/35333-selway-bow-stringer.html)

PABeardBuster 08-15-2003 07:01 PM

Selway bow stringer

Anybody have any tips or hints on using the Selway stringer? I got mine with my Chek-Mate " goodie bag" and it' s alot harder to use than I expected. It actually took two people to string my bow. The rubber boot seems to stick to the limb, rather than sliding easily to move the string.

Tyler

Sagittarius 08-16-2003 12:47 AM

RE: Selway bow stringer

PABB,

Hold the rubber boot in place with your left hand as you begin to pull up on your riser with your right hand.
If you have trouble stringing the bow because it' s a heavy poundage, step on the bow stringer cord with both feet.
This gives you more leverage and allows you to slide the rubber boot further up the limb lessoning the distance needed to pull the bow while stringing it.
Just make sure your feet are an equal distance on each side of the riser.
You can release the rubber boot once you get enough tension on it.
You don' t want the boot to slip.
Actually, mine does slip on my bows, unlike yours, unless I hold it in place at first.
To me, the Selway is the finest stringer out there.
I like mine so well, I bought a spare.

Sag.

LBR 08-16-2003 06:42 AM

Thanks Sag--I was trying to figure out how to explain it, but couldn' t put it into words (not in a way that anyone could understand anyhow).

In my experience, it' s gets lots easier the more you do it. Figuring out how to get the best leverage will help a bunch. It was a pain in the rear for me the first few times too, but it will get easier.

Chad

IrishLad32 08-16-2003 07:59 AM

What Sag said, you don' t want the rubber piece to move. Pull the string as far up the limb as you can and place the rubber piece behind it to hold it in place. Hold the rubber piece in place while you pull a little to get tension on the stringer. Let go of the rubber piece as you keep pulling and slide the string into the nock grooves with your free hand. I' ve found that the closer to the ends of the limbs the rubber piece is the easier it is to string (it doesn' t have to flex the limbs as far). I' ve also found that if there are any more than three knots in the stringer chord it doesn' t work very well.

Brandan

Arthur P 08-16-2003 10:26 AM

I' ll second using both feet on the stringer. Keep your knees bent a good bit (not so much to make you look like a weight lifter doing a squat though) and place your feet as far apart as the stringer will let you, while keeping the arm you' re holding the riser with straight. Then straighten you knees and use your legs to bend the limbs instead of trying to pull it up with your arm and back.

Hope you understand what I' m trying to say. Like a lot of this archery stuff, it' s a lot easier to show someone how to do it than try to explain it.[:' (]

CT Bowhunter 08-16-2003 08:44 PM

I agree with everything said above. They work great. Once you get the hang of it you' ll do it without thinking. Chad started me using one with my first Crusader. Don' t care what Kip says that Chad' s alright:D

PABeardBuster 08-17-2003 10:32 PM

Just call me a dummy![:-]

My problem was the stringer was too long! I just pulled it from the package and tried to use it, it was way too long to get enough tension on the limbs. I shortened it and it works great now. Simple enough for a donkey to use, hmmm... what' s that make me :D.

Tyler