Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Old 10-27-2011, 08:13 PM
Spike

Default Newbie

I have been hunting with compounds for 10 years and need something new. i want a recurve bow but know nothing about how buy the right bow, much less equipment or how to shoot the thing correctly!
Does anyone have any tips to find decent resources? i don't trust my local archery store, they are all about selling me a brand new $800 compound after telling them numerous times i wasn't interested.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:26 PM
Spike

There are tons of web sites where you can get some information and most larger libraries have a few good books on the subject.

The best thing, in my opinion, would be to find a pro shop that deals with traditional archery gear. They would be able to help you and, usually, have a few bows you could try, maybe even some used equipment, to start out with. Most importantly, they can put you in touch with other traditional shooters, a club, or, maybe, custom bowyers in the area. With this information, you might be able to shoot a variety of different bows.

Some companies, like Black Widow, have a plan where you can try a bow before you buy one (basically, you buy it, shoot it and, return it for a refund).

Do the research, shoot some bows, and don't get over bowed to start out. There's nothing more discouraging that blowing a grand on a custom take down with an extra set of limbs and finding that the old used Puma hanging in your garage (the one you bought used for $25.00 25 yrs. ago) shoots better for you.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:11 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

To me, the hardest part is getting started--there are tons of opinions, and you don't have a clue who to listen to. Books and videos aren't reliable--one of the more popular "beginner" books doesn't even define "Fast Flight" accurately. If you have store within reasonable driving distance that carries traditional gear, they may help...but those are few and far between.

Here's my advice--take it for what it's worth. Unless you just have money to burn, start with a cheap bow like the Samick Sage. It's inexpensive, but a good shooter and has a warranty. I wouldn't go any heavier than 40# or so at your draw length. Arrows can be aluminum or carbon--doesn't really matter, as long as they aren't too light (can damage the bow--go with at least 8 grains of arrow weight per pound of draw weight). For example, you can get XX75 Gamegetters or Carbon Express Predator II's pretty cheap. Use feathers and at least 125 grain points.

Get good shooting instruction. The best video I know of is "Masters of the Barebow, Volume III". If you can get a coach, that would be great too, but the video will help a lot.

Don't worry about perfect arrow flight, tuning, etc. at first. Work on form and consistency--you can only tune as well as you can shoot. Start close, work your way back.

You may want to get heavier limbs (they are cheap for the Sage), but I wouldn't invest in an expensive bow (custom or otherwise) for at least a year. This will give you time to figure out what you like, what works for you, etc.

Good luck! If I can help, let me know.

Chad
Old 10-28-2011, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check into local archery clubs/shoots in your area.They often have trad members who will be more than willing to help.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

A couple of years ago I picked up a Shakespeare Sierra recurve for $40 on e-bay. It's just like the one I used as a teenager back in the 70's. Shakespeare made a decent line of bows that were reasonably priced. My bow is 52" long and that's about as short as I'd want to go, or the string will start pinching your fingers. Just search e-bay for shakespeare archery, they made bows in many different lengths. Look at listings with lots of pictures and look for cracks and twisted limbs. There's no reason to spend more than $50 on one that'll get you started. I like a 45# draw weight for hunting.

3rivers archery is a good place to pick up accessories.
http://www.3riversarchery.com/Index.asp