HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Archery (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery-19/)
-   -   What Do You Do... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery/352289-what-do-you-do.html)

LBR 10-27-2011 04:06 PM

What Do You Do...

...to pass the time when in a stand/blind? I get bored out of my skull in no time flat. Reading puts me to sleep. What do you do to stave off boredom?

Chad

Night Wing 10-28-2011 04:55 AM

Mainly watch birds and squirrels if any of the two are around.

burniegoeasily 10-28-2011 05:30 AM

Watch criters. Some times I read the news on my phone.

Centaur 1 10-28-2011 06:59 PM

I have a couple of electronic games, yahtzee and sudoku, that stay in my backpack. If I'm going to hunt from my pop-up blind I'll bring my nintendo ds. I move around way too much when playing games like mario cart to use it in a tree stand. A couple of old arrows to fling at squirrels is always a good way to keep things interesting.

JimPic 10-29-2011 03:11 PM

I'm always looking, do alot of glassing

olfatguy 10-30-2011 12:42 PM

If you're that bored (or reading, playing games, etc.) you're probably not paying attention, like you should be, anyway. Take a nap, move out and still hunt for a little while, till you feel alert again. The boredom is the killer, though, not just in deer hunting.

I can't recall how many times I've asked someone why he didn't shoot that buck that walked under his stand earlier only to get an answer like "I got bored so I was ..... (fill in whatever you like).

the_trapperDave 10-31-2011 06:52 AM

i look for deer :)

LBR 10-31-2011 11:11 AM

Lately it's been pretty dead. The woods are still green and thick, and I'm hunting from a blind. Vision is limited, the most exciting thing I've heard lately is acorns dropping--not even any birds or squirrels. I know this is a good spot--just for some reason it goes cold now and then, but always fires back up.

I can only stare at nothing for so long--after a few hours I need visual stimulation. Don't have a "smart" phone, so no games.

LBR 10-31-2011 11:11 AM

Lately it's been pretty dead. The woods are still green and thick, and I'm hunting from a blind. Vision is limited, the most exciting thing I've heard lately is acorns dropping--not even any birds or squirrels. I know this is a good spot--just for some reason it goes cold now and then, but always fires back up.

I can only stare at nothing for so long--after a few hours I need visual stimulation. Don't have a "smart" phone, so no games.

MILLERTIME10 11-08-2011 05:53 AM

I have a hunting journal I write in sometimes...but this got me in trouble earlier this season. I was writing when I glanced up and saw a shadow of something moving behind me. I slowly laid my journal down and started to grab my bow...too late, there was a doe and fawn already looking at me 12 steps from the stand on the other side.

Sometimes trying to pass the time will get you in trouble, like it did me.