Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
Hunting Methods Treestands or Ground Blinds >

Hunting Methods Treestands or Ground Blinds

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Hunting Methods Treestands or Ground Blinds

Old 10-10-2011, 07:33 AM
Fork Horn

Default Hunting Methods Treestands or Ground Blinds

Was curios what methods other traditional hunters use. I hunt on the ground with stool I made. I also use a treestand I made. I do not like the commercial stands on the market.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:30 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Last year I don't think I climbed a tree even once, and probably won't this year. Pop-up blinds have become my favorite way to hunt, at least on private land where I can put the blind out for a few days in advance and don't have to worry about it being stolen. I'm getting older and don't like climbing like I used to, plus the last few years I used a stand it was not very effective at all--I kept getting busted. Just too out in the open with a climber--I have friends who still do fairly well with lock-on stands--getting above those first few branches and/or getting hidden makes a world of difference here. Dang deer are born looking up in the trees.

Chad
Old 10-11-2011, 10:18 AM
Fork Horn

I like hunting at ground level but I ue my stool and makeshift ghiilie suit. I find a group of youpons or something and sit in the middle of it.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Preferably a hang on stand but I'll use whatever is best for the situation.Some times there simply isn't a tree suitable for where I need to be.In that case I'll erect a ground blind with whats available.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:48 AM
Fork Horn

A ground blind is my preference. Either a natural or a commercial pop up.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Whatever is needed for the conditions. Most of the time i'm in a tree. I do make ground blinds when there are no trees in the area, or trees down wind.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:03 PM
Spike

i prefer to hang in a tree but when theres no good trees then ground blind it is
Old 12-24-2011, 11:00 AM
Spike

Default Places to get good info on blinds

I have hunted in tree stands as well as ground blinds. It can be a matter of season, preference, and most importantly - game being hunted. I prefer ground blinds for shotgun or bowhunting turkey. It keeps my movements concealed from wary birds, especially while calling. For deer hunting with rifle or bow, I prefer a good tree stand. Being off the ground really aids in scent control. I hunt where the wind changes directions on you throughout the day and the hunt.

Finding a good blind can be tricky. There are all sorts of body types and conditions to hunt in. Tree stands vary for features and size of platform (key for bowhunters).

Last edited by LBR; 12-24-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:04 AM
Typical Buck

Depends on the area I'm hunting. I've got some places where a ground blind works best and others where my climber is perfect.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Do what fits you

I've used a climbing tree stand for some twenty years, but I plan to use a ground blind, for part of the time, in the future. And remember, not every hunter is a tree climber.

Tree stands are good, but they limit your moving around. Unfortunately, if the leaves are on the tree (limits hunter visibility) and if it's warm, the deer can scent the hunter, long before the hunter sees the deer.

I use to love to move around. Next season, I'll use a blind, which is much lighter, to move around, hunting and scouting at the same time. I shouldn't think much of moving my site after an hour. You do, even with a moveable climbing tree stand.

This coming season, I expect to hunt in a colder climate. I'm going to carry along a blind. It will not only offer concealment on the ground, I'll be out of the weather and a little wind. The last thing I would do is climb a tree in sub-zero weather. (Did enough of that climbing oil storage tanks)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.