HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Archery (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery-19/)
-   -   Release? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery/350899-release.html)

Big Bullets 10-04-2011 02:54 PM

Release?

I have a recurve which I just obtained. I have no experience with traditional archery and have been teaching myself to shoot. I am progressing but wondered if anyone uses a release with their recurve. I am trying to build up the calluses but, even with a glove, after a dozon arrows, my fingers feel it.

halfbakedi420 10-04-2011 03:36 PM

my buddy used a leather strap made for this many a moons ago, for the same situation...basically a finger cover.

LBR 10-05-2011 02:33 AM

It can be done, but for me it complicates things. I suggest a cordovan leather tab or a glove with cordovan tips. It will take a little time to break in, but works great once it is.

Chad

wicked251 10-05-2011 02:54 AM

I shoot with a leather glove, they do take time to break in, so do your fingers.

olfatguy 10-05-2011 04:08 AM

I guess a release aid wouldn't be out of the question but, for me kind of defeats the purpose.

If your fingers get bother you after a dozen shots, shoot 8 of 10 and take a break. Better still try some roving (stump shooting) practice instead of hammering a target butt. I think that is a better all around practice, for hunting, and gives your fingers a little longer break between shots.

Long story short - sore fingers, at first, are just part of the game. Like breaking in a new pair of boots, if you don't wear them , they don't get broken in. Get some good tabs and gloves and see which you like best (you can get several for the same price as a good release aid.

Night Wing 10-05-2011 05:04 AM

Another vote for a shooting tab.

Big Bullets 10-11-2011 11:14 AM

Tried using an old driving glove which is thin and very broken in. That helped. Then I went to 2 fingers which seemed to help more. Maybe the third finger, which is shorter, causes problems.

My hunting gloves for warm weather are quite thin and I am going to give them a try since, I would probably wear them anyway.

Thanks to all.

Centxrecurve 10-11-2011 08:09 PM

try a damascus glove it works great and is double layered at shooting fingers.

Bernie P. 10-12-2011 05:36 AM

A common mistake for folks new to trad gear is torquing the string.That will cause discomfort and you'll develop a callus on the lower finger..Make sure your drawing hand/fingers are at the same angle you're canting the bow.What's the weight at your draw length?You might be over bowed.You have to remember what you can handle has nothing to do with what you shot with the compound.

Big Bullets 10-12-2011 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Bernie P. (Post 3859978)
A common mistake for folks new to trad gear is torquing the string.That will cause discomfort and you'll develop a callus on the lower finger..Make sure your drawing hand/fingers are at the same angle you're canting the bow.What's the weight at your draw length?You might be over bowed.You have to remember what you can handle has nothing to do with what you shot with the compound.

It is a 50# bow. I can pull it and hold it. I think that I just have to be consisyant in anchoring and how I "aim". I just look at my target and have tried to relate it to my arrow head. Should I just look at the target?