HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Archery (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery-19/)
-   -   switching to Razorcaps broadheads (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery/350728-switching-razorcaps-broadheads.html)

Mr. Longbeard 10-01-2011 12:18 PM

switching to Razorcaps broadheads

Shot a doe thursday evening at about 20 yards with a magnus two blade el cheapo broad head... Put a great hit on deer she only ran 50 yards but there was NO blood trail... I decided to switch to Razorcaps to see how the work out... I hear good things about them...

Has anybody shot a deer with these heads and what was the out come???

LBR 10-01-2011 06:49 PM

I dare say the same shot with any head would have turned out the same or very similar. Down in 50 yds. means the head did it's job. Sometimes the hole gets plugged with fat, gut, etc.; the wound is too high and the blood goes into the body cavity rather than on the ground, etc.--lots of things could happen.

Magnus makes a great broadhead--I have a friend who's killed a truck-load of deer with the same single Magnus broadhead.

Chad

Josh Sorensen 10-02-2011 12:43 AM

I've used snuffers on a few deer. Pretty similar head to the razor cap. Always left a hell of a blood trail. Those 3 blade heads sure cut a heck of a hole.

LBR 10-02-2011 05:00 AM

I've been shooting Woodsmans for the last few years, and most of the time they leave a great trail...but I did shoot one deer high, and although down in 65 yds or so there was very little blood on the ground. I got blood all over me loading it in my truck--the body cavity was sloshing with blood and it went everywhere when the deer was moved. Have shot them with 2-blade Ribteks and got great blood on the ground.

Josh Sorensen 10-02-2011 10:02 AM

+1 on those ribteks. I shot a few critters with 160 ribteks and always got really good blood trails.

Mr. Longbeard 10-04-2011 03:25 AM

Well i guess ill try the RC out and see how they work on the next deer that i cross paths with...

Bernie P. 10-04-2011 04:35 AM

Down and out within 50yds and you're looking for something better.It doesn't get any better!!!!

Mr. Longbeard 10-04-2011 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Bernie P. (Post 3856369)
Down and out within 50yds and you're looking for something better.It doesn't get any better!!!!

I put a broadhead right threw the pump station and deer runs 50 yards and I find almost no blood...

My MAIN concern is BLOOD TRAIL!!! Not every deer is going to be "down and out within 50 yards"...

I could prob put a piece of flint threw the lungs at 15 yards and drop my deer within eye sight... But this is the real world of bow hunting and I highly doubt im going to put a text book perfect shot on every deer I shoot with traditional gear... So there just might come the chance were I have to rely on a blood trail to help me find my deer... Right now I dont have a whole lot of faith in a two blade head on those so so shots... That's all im saying...

Bernie P. 10-05-2011 04:41 AM

Well not all will run off without leaving a blood trail either.That can and does happen with any broadhead.

LBR 10-05-2011 07:58 AM

Neighbor kid shot a monster 8-point in full velvet last Sunday that went down in 30-45 yds, but left almost no blood behind. He hit the femoral artery--no idea where the blood went, but it didn't go on the ground.

No doubt a 3-blade or 4-blade could help in some cases, but there is no magic broadhead that will be perfect for every situation--and there are situations where they will be a hinderance vs. a 2-blade.

Chad