Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Going to Try....

Old 09-14-2011, 07:05 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default Going to Try....

Something I promised a few years ago. Anyone that knows me knows I prefer longbows--rarely do I shoot a recurve--just doesn't feel the same to me.

Well, a few years ago I was given a "fake" Choctaw recurve. It was made with Mr. Jerry Pierce's woods, his glass, his glue and finish, on his bow press, has "Pierce Points" in the riser...but it was made by Mr. Pierce's son-in-law about a year after Gentleman Jerry passed away. Mr. Jerry's son, Lenny, is a friend and he gave it to me after buying it at the 2001 PBS auction. Lenny has no children, and he knew that if I had it it would never be sold or traded, at least not in my lifetime, and I'd appreciate the history behind it. The only "catch" was I was supposed to kill something with it, because that's what Jerry would have wanted.

I've put it off, but this year I bought some arrows spined for it (35@28, I think 45@ my draw of nearly 32" with it) and I plan to use it until I kill something or the season ends. I'm not as comfortable or confident with it as I am my longbows and selfbows, but after a few sessions I'm overcoming the tendency to shoot to the right and high. I think a deer that gives me a shot 20 yds or closer is going to be toast--now I just have to find a deer to cooperate.....after Oct. 1st that is.

Chad
Old 09-17-2011, 06:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Go for it. I was a recurve guy for years. I went with longbows quite some years ago. I use to shot both equally, but have pretty much stuck with longbows for the last 6 years. They are all R/D so I guess you could say I just made a compromise. lol.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:03 AM
Fork Horn

I had a 68" longbow and I just couldn't shoot it well. I don't care for a longbow's straight grip. This style of grip doesn't feel comfortable to me.

But, I would love to shoot a 72" longbow with a recurve style grip. Won't ever happen since I've never seen these two combos together in one longbow.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:44 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I don't like straight grips either--I can shoot them, but don't like them. My favorite longbows and selfbows don't have straight grips--guess you'd call them semi-recurve grips.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:11 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Night Wing
I had a 68" longbow and I just couldn't shoot it well. I don't care for a longbow's straight grip. This style of grip doesn't feel comfortable to me.

But, I would love to shoot a 72" longbow with a recurve style grip. Won't ever happen since I've never seen these two combos together in one longbow.
I make lots of longbows with deep grips. Almost the same grips I put on a recurve. 72" is pretty much my starting length for most materials. I started making recurves years ago. I then started making longbows. I fell in love with the longbows and made many with lots of reflex and deflex with deep grips. I have since gone with a more straight grips on my personal longbows. When I buld a bow for someone else, I do what ever they want.

Last edited by burniegoeasily; 09-18-2011 at 05:14 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:45 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by burniegoeasily
I make lots of longbows with deep grips. Almost the same grips I put on a recurve. 72" is pretty much my starting length for most materials. I started making recurves years ago. I then started making longbows. I fell in love with the longbows and made many with lots of reflex and deflex with deep grips. I have since gone with a more straight grips on my personal longbows. When I buld a bow for someone else, I do what ever they want.
I'll keep you mind. If I were to "try" another longbow, I would want the length to be 72", but the poundage I want has to be at my 30" draw length. Not at 28".

Most production made bows where the poundage is measured at 28", every inch past 28", the poundage starts to increase by 4# or more making the draw to my anchor point very harsh.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:46 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by burniegoeasily
well I will add that Kent makes an impressive, accurate and, fast bow
Old 09-21-2011, 08:07 PM
Fork Horn

You'll rock it LB!

You mentioned that you shoot high and right with 'curve- I go high and left with a longbow! lol It won't take long for the brain to adjust to your new obsession. You know there's no going back now!

All the best in the quest!

RC