Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

First 3-D of 2011

Old 02-19-2011, 01:46 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default First 3-D of 2011

Went to Lost Tribe in Collierville, TN (totally forgot about the 1st leg of the IBO Southern Triple Crown in AL this weekend--oh well) today. Had a blast!

Had two friends with me, and one of them brought another friend who's interested in getting into the sport. We all had pretty good days, respectively. Only one arrow lost, two ruined (one of those was mine--got stupid on an elk! Dang gimme shots...). I shot my longbow first, and out of 28 targets only one "5" (5-8-10 scoring) and one miss (!$#!% elk). Shot a clean round with my recurve (used my fake Choctaw), but the score was a bit lower--230-something for longbow, 213 for recurve (I rarely shoot a recurve as well as a longbow). Didn't take a selfbow today--refinishing the hickory, the BBO is in the "hospital" but should be ready for next weekend.

Couldn't have asked for better weather--it was a great time. Also shot a round with a fellow I've talked to, but never met. It was his first 3-D--he did really well. Looking forward to the next one!

Chad
Old 02-20-2011, 08:19 AM
DCM
Spike

Hate I missed it Chad. Ya'll had dang nice weather.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:23 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I was looking for you--didn't know if I just missed you or what. We got there early and left before it was over--promised Betsy I'd get home in time for her to ride.

It was a perfect day. We shot the "long" course--probably be the only time it will get used, because the bugs will probably be too bad to take that route again this summer.

The young man who went with us (for his first shoot) came back today to buy a Samick Sage I had in the shop. Just so happened I had some X7 1814's that flew great for him, so he got a dozen of those so he's good to go. For a rank beginner, she shot really well, both on the course and behind my shop. Pretty sure we have a new addict.

Kind of ironic--I learned that his father-in-law is the same fellow who sold me my first longbow, about 15 years ago. His f.i.l. doesn't shoot or hunt anymore, but he remembered me.

Looks like it's going to be a great summer for 3-D!
Old 02-21-2011, 06:44 AM
Banned

I struggle on elk, moose and buffalo targets. I am such an eastern hunter, those big guys just throw off my shots.

You sound like one heck of a shot. Fatigue alone gets to me after one 28 arrow round.

I myself went quail hunting, and had a heck of a time.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:19 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

The big targets get most of us--if you aren't used to shooting at them, you'll think they are closer than they are. I have an elk target, but I still missed that target once Saturday. Oh well..

I have my days shooting--some better than others. I was only pulling maybe 45# with the recurve on the second round. The targets were relatively close for the most part, with several small targets (jake turkey, rabbit, skunk, porcupine, javalina, coyote) and several tight/trashy shots (several trees got shot). No moving targets this time. I love the tight shots--makes me concentrate...of course then I blow it on an elk that's in the wide-open!
Old 02-22-2011, 05:52 AM
Dominant Buck

How do you find the time? lol. I have not had time to shoot a bow. The last time I shot a bow was when I put an arrow in a hog a month ago. I would embarrass myself on a three D course if I got out and try to shoot a round right now.

I guess I can start shooting again since I have finished up with all my, end of season chores.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:01 AM
Banned

You know I have never taken score. Part of me would kinda like to know how I stack up against others. Probably poor. I take score in compound leagues.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:09 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

3-D shoots are mini-vacations for me. Since my shop is only about 40 feet from my house, if I'm home it's open. I have to leave to get a break a lot of the time!

I have several friends that I only see at tournaments, plus friends that ride with me--they both keep me going.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LBR
3-D shoots are mini-vacations for me. Since my shop is only about 40 feet from my house, if I'm home it's open. I have to leave to get a break a lot of the time!

I have several friends that I only see at tournaments, plus friends that ride with me--they both keep me going.
Wish I was close. I would shoot with ya.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:12 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Some of my buds and I used to get together several times a week, and pretty much every weekend, and shoot. If it wasn't a tournament, it was aerial targets or a home course or stumping or whatever.

Now I've got 15 or so targets behind my shop, including a "running" elk, and a rarely go out back and shoot...just isn't as much fun by myself.

BC, you just need to move South!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.