Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
Thinking seriously about getting into bow hunting... (Newb Thread) >

Thinking seriously about getting into bow hunting... (Newb Thread)

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Thinking seriously about getting into bow hunting... (Newb Thread)

Old 12-24-2010, 06:43 AM
Spike

Default Thinking seriously about getting into bow hunting... (Newb Thread)

My apologies if a similar thread has been posted before...

I have been giving serious thought to getting into bow hunting. Tho I have experience rifle hunting, It's something I have no experience in. This has been something that has been on my mind for about a year or so and I've always dismissed the idea but as it keeps coming back I'm giving in. I don't know why, maybe it's the basic-ness of it all, but I've been drawn to traditional bows and hunting over compound bows. Because I am/will be just starting out I am looking to begin with a relatively inexpensive bow. For this reason I've been looking at PSE as they start around $200 for either the Sequoia or Mustang. Now my question boils down to 2 things...

1) Is PSE a good company to go with for someone just starting out?

2) For someone who is just starting out, what would be better, a longbow or a recurve?

Beyond that anyone who has experience with either the Sequoia or Mustang bows or any other advice for a newb like me, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Take a look at Martin's trad bows.Much better than the PSE line.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:37 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Martin does make mostly excellent bows (I'd avoid the "Twig" and "Stick"), but I believe they are all out of your price range--at least new.

I haven't had any recent experience with PSE trad bows--what I had in years past wasn't good, to the point I haven't given them another look since.

Samick makes some nice, and very affordable recurves. Look at the "Sage" from Lancaster Archery. It's not a custom bow, but it is a new bow with a warranty at a price that won't break the bank. I don't know if you could make a laminated bow yourself that cheap (after you had all your tools).

Longbow or recurve, personal choice. I think you can get decent recurve cheaper. Some of my early experiences with "cheap" longbows nearly turned me against them completely.

The monkey pulling the string will make the most difference. Some bows feel better, some shoot faster, etc. but any decent bow will do the job as long as you do yours.

Keep in mind that a high price doesn't always mean a good bow, or a good warranty. I'd be sure to get a good warranty, in writing. Don't accept a "guarantee" over the phone.

Get good instruction. "Masters of the Barebow, Volume III" is the best and easiest to follow that I know of when it comes to videos. I expect Vol. IV will be very good also. I and II are interesting and entertaining, but III has the "meat 'n taters".

If you know of a good coach or clinic in your area, spending a little now could save you years of frustration fighting the learning curve. Rod Jenkins is doing clinics all over the country--you might accidently learn he'll be in your area.

Good luck, and have fun with it!

Chad
Old 12-28-2010, 08:33 AM
Fork Horn

Check traditional bow forums or even ebay and you can find great bows for a very low price.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:30 AM
Fork Horn

Take a look at the Greatree line of take down recurve bows. They're not expensive and I think in your price range. BTW, I like the Highlander model since you can get it in a 60" or 64" length in both right and left hand.

http://www.greatreearchery.com/viewt...&itemtype_id=1
Old 02-02-2011, 08:02 PM
Fork Horn

What LBR said. Good advice. Also, 40 to 45 pounds is more than enough to start with. Get too much weight and you will have difficulty learning your form. You want to be able to control the bow. I've had pass throughs on deer with 40# using 1816 alum arrows and with 43# using carbons under 400 grains.

I've hunted with bows from 52" to 66" The shorter bows will put a little more pinch on the fingers and generally will be a little tougher to shoot accurately, although I had a blast shooting my 54" Browning Safari bows at 3d and hunting. But I did most of my learning on bows closer to 58 to 66"

Martin bows are usually a safe bet. Make sure you try before you buy. Shoot as many as you can. How the grip feels, how it feels as it shoots are important to you. Can you get your hands to assume the same grip repeatedly. This is important. PSE would not be on my short list. I'm a fan of going to a big trad event and shooting all the bows you can. Take notes on the ones you cant afford and buy the one you shoot the best, whether its new or used. If used try to have someone else look it over for you before you buy in case it has problems you're not familiar with. One year I tried that and to be honest, at the end of the day I was still happy with my old 40# 66" Browning I gave $5.00 for at a flea market with twisted limbs that I straightened. I think 4 people have learned to shoot on that bow.

Last edited by grizzly 2; 02-02-2011 at 08:14 PM. Reason: add text