Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
Do you use a release with your recurve and/or long bow? >

Do you use a release with your recurve and/or long bow?

Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Do you use a release with your recurve and/or long bow?

Old 12-18-2010, 01:33 AM
Typical Buck

Used to use finger tabs 1 over two under but recently I find myself shooting barehanded
Old 12-18-2010, 07:53 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Just for giggles I tried a release with a longbow...once. It was a back tension release, and a dang-near killed myself with it. Not fun at all.

That was not long after I got "into" traditional bows, and didn't even know what back tension was. Now I have a much better idea, and still won't try a release.

I do know one guy that, due to an injury, has to use a release. He's an excellent shot with it...but he was a dang good shot before he had to go to a release.

Personally, one of the main reasons I got away from compound bows nearly 20 years ago was to get away from the gadgets. Something always getting loose, forgetting to bring the release aid, sights getting bumped, etc. etc. etc. It was getting to a point where it wasn't much fun anymore.

I don't have a thing against compound bows--they are what got me started in archery--but I have to say I never had a fraction of the fun with compounds that I've had with tradtional gear. I never killed a fraction of the game with a compound that I've killed with tradtional gear. And, I don't think I would have ever considered shooting in tournaments with a compound, but I've been from TX to PA shooting traditional bows, and been on hunting trips from NM to Northern Ontario. It's just too much fun!

Chad
Old 12-20-2010, 09:09 AM
Spike

Bear Kodiak Hunter, here.

I use gloved fingers.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

I am not a fan of releases. Too gun like for me.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:24 AM
Spike

You are stuck in the rut of compound mentality. Loose the release and keep practicing. Nobody said trad is easy and its not supposed to be, thats why we do it.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Releases in varius forms have been used for 100's of years.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:19 PM
Spike

I use a "no glove" on all my recurve bows. One over and 2 under. Seems to work for me.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:30 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

That's not an apples-to-apples comparison. A horn thumb-ring is a bit different than a Scott.

Most folks I've talked to switched to tradtional for the same reason i did--simplicity. The fewer moving parts, the better for me.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:04 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
One wants to use one, by al means use one. Go to a bow shoot u might feel a little out of place.

I have a whisper buisuit I leave on 2 of mine, then I don't have to reset when I want to go bowfishing.

Last edited by wheelie; 12-24-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:14 AM
Dominant Buck

If you feel the need for a release, try a thumb ring first. One of the first ever releases.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.