Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

making own bow

Old 12-02-2010, 01:19 AM
Spike

Default making own bow

Just wondering how maney people make there own bows on here. How is it done? Is it easy? Could you guys and gals that make your own post some pics of them I enjoy looking at home made things like that.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:27 AM
bigcountry

I make em. I like selfbows mainly.

Best place to go for this is www.primitivearcher.com and go to the forums. Second is www.tradgang.com and go to the bowyers bench section.

I will post some later. burniegoeasy is the master on here.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:22 AM
DCM
Spike

http://home.comcast.net/~dcm4/site/?/photos

There are a bunch of pics here but since my interest has waned over they years it has also piled up with other stuff.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Heres a few pics of some of my bows. Dont quite have pics of all of them. I really enjoy making and hunting with my own bows. All my bows, for the last few years have all been all organic. Selfbows and wood lam bows. I have not made a glass lam bow in years.
Ipe, Osage, bamboo quad lam. Made a couple of these.

Osage bamboo and walnut

walnut, bamboo, and curly maple

Ipe, osage, walnut

Ipe and bamboo with cocabola

walnut, osage, and bamboo

Cherry, maple and hickory

walnut and bamboo

A mess of kids bows. Made from a all kinds of wood.

Mesquite and bamboo in the works.

Last edited by burniegoeasily; 12-09-2010 at 09:08 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:26 AM
Dominant Buck

DCM. Very nice. Wish I had all that osage you have in those pics.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:04 AM
DCM
Spike

Me too. I been draggin' it down from the attic of my shop to cut up for firewood. I cut and hauled some severly knarly stuff back in the day. While it makes interesting bows, it does tax one's patience. Anymore I'm so little involved I have all the bows I can make already reduced to floor tiller, or staves I've traded for I need to use.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:01 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by DCM
Me too. I been draggin' it down from the attic of my shop to cut up for firewood. I cut and hauled some severly knarly stuff back in the day. While it makes interesting bows, it does tax one's patience. Anymore I'm so little involved I have all the bows I can make already reduced to floor tiller, or staves I've traded for I need to use.

I know what you are talking about. I started a real knotty stave last year. I work a little then put it up for a while. I like a good character bow, but tend to work them slow. It try’s the patience chasseing rings around a bunch of knots. This stave I’m working has about 12 knots. It looks like a kid with real bad acne. I also have two hackberry staves going that are real snaky and a few ipe lam bows that are at floor tiller. I just wish I had more time to finish up a few of them.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Where was the bow you use now Kent? It's a good looking bow! I bet I know where you got the knotted piece of osage from?
Old 12-02-2010, 05:54 PM
Spike

very nice bows everyone thanks for posting them
Old 12-03-2010, 04:48 AM
Spike

Did you really made that? Your own? oh! you have that talent dude.Very impressive.The colors fitted the bow and arrow i like it.You done it professionally.The design was so attractive.Nice work.Keep it up!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.