HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Archery (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery-19/)
-   -   "Running" Target (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery/333081-running-target.html)

LBR 10-31-2010 02:38 PM

"Running" Target

Been thinking about doing this for years, finally did it yesterday with a little help from a friend and my son. Turned my elk target into a "running elk" via a long cable, some hanger wire, couple of short pieces of conduit, and a couple of pulleys. It's a blast to shoot at, but you need someone dedicated to running it.

bigcountry 11-01-2010 04:30 AM

We do it every year at Balt trad classic. No doubt its good to have obedient strong sons. I dont think I have hit it yet.

Curve1 11-01-2010 05:11 AM

Been a long time ,but it is fun. At the Jerry Hill shoot in Wilsonville, Al. they use to have a lot of running targets....but it is better if you're able to practice shooting at running targets and it's fun.

LBR 11-01-2010 08:54 AM

I shot the old Howard Hill in Wilsonville several times. I think out of 28 targets, 17 of them were moving? That was one of my first exposures to moving targets. I only hit the skunk once...that was one more tough shot! The elk I have is the old running elk target from the (now defunct) Lofton Classic.

We have a flying turkey and climbing bear at the Jerry Pierce (that turkey is a devil), and I've shot at moving targets at other places--we even had a running javalina at two different local clubs (both closed now). This is just the first one I've rigged at my place.

Nice thing is I can rig other targets and use the same cable and pulleys for them to run on. I just need to use some dog collar snaps to make them easier to swap out.

Schultzy 11-03-2010 08:29 AM

Sounds pretty neat LBR!!!

At the Traditional shoot In Coon Rapids Minnesota they used to always have a moving target. That was a blast!! Years ago the Wensel bros put balloons In tires and rolled them. It was In one of their hunting video's so we stole the Idea and did the same thing ourselves. We got really good at It too. I've shot a few deer on a slow trot and drilled them perfect. Never will I take a running shot.

burniegoeasily 11-05-2010 06:39 AM

Pretty cool idea. I dont shoot at anything moving, other than fish, birds (been over 20 years since Ive hunted birds with a bow), rabbits, etc. etc.. But with practice like that, it might change things.

We use to practice moving shots with cardbord disc targets. We would throw then through the air to practice for birds and roll them on the ground to practice for rabbits etc.

ranger56528 11-24-2010 01:18 PM

I used to like tieing a ballon behind the RC car on a 6-8ft string untill I hit the car,Opps then it wasnt so fun when I had to fix it.....

Wish I had the room to do something like a running 3-d Target...

LBR 01-31-2011 09:10 PM

The way I see it, if I can't have fun I ain't going. 3-D isn't hunting--foam don't bleed, and doesn't run off if you make a bad shot. I see it as a venue to challenge yourself, and learn what shots you can make and what you should avoid in "real life".

We have a blast at the JPM and Catch-a-Dream shoots. We had a board meeting recently, and have plans for a few more novelties plus a "mounted" shot on the course.

The "Cry Baby" novelty consists of 10 shots that most would never consider on a live animal...at least until they shoot this course. Then you find out that, when you really focus, slipping an arrow between two trees, just over a log, etc. really isn't that hard...and if you do blow it, you generally miss all-together.

I haven't rigged any other movers yet--just getting back into a shooting routine--but I can see a flying javalina in the near future......