HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Archery (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery-19/)
-   -   Any Kills/Shots/Close Calls? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery/331803-any-kills-shots-close-calls.html)

LBR 10-13-2010 12:23 PM

Any Kills/Shots/Close Calls?

I got out for a while this morning. Had a smallish deer come into view feeding around daybreak. I waited to see if there was one with it--glad I did. "Mom" wasn't too far behind, and after a closer look this one still had fading spots. I could have taken a shot at the mother, but decided to let this one go for a little while longer. I'm sure it was big enough to survive on it's own, but I don't like to orphan one with spots still on it. Then came a set of twins, even smaller, with bright white spots on them, and a big 'ol nanny. Watched them all feed and mill around for a while, then they left. I think it was the first fawn (or one similar in size and color) that came back and milled around for 15 minutes or more. Several shots, some at less than 10 feet from my blind, but I just watched. In a week or two that oldest fawn will be out of it's spots, and it's mother will then be fair game. At least I'm seeing deer!

Chad

bigcountry 10-13-2010 02:38 PM

I hear ya, I don't like to orpahn one either. Got my doe last week. The small bucks are already starting to harass the does some.

gelarson 10-16-2010 07:39 PM

One doe with the TD Hunter

1 Attachment(s)
Trying to attach a picture but not sure. Second week of Sept on an Elk hunt. A bull into 60 yrds but no shot. I was going to say no luck but getting a bull into 60 is very lucky and we had 4 other bulls in.

Happy and safe hunting everyone.

:s1:

The Rev 10-18-2010 06:31 AM

I won't shoot a mama deer either Chad, just can't bring myself to it.

Tuffcity 10-20-2010 10:31 AM

Just returned recently from a mountain goat hunt in NW BC. Had a go at this billy the day after this picture was taken (too late in the day to go after him the first time)

A not so leisurely 3 hour hike later we poke through the bush at the top of the cliff where we though he should be. I had two choices, left or right, and decided to check the right hand, downwind clearing first.

I should have hooked a left.

I turned around and looked up to find the billy walking towards me from about 50 yards away. We both saw each other at about the same time and he quickly decided that he needed to be somewhere else.

I tracked him for a couple of hundred yards along the top of the cliffs then lost his sign. I wasn’t sure if he went into the heavy brush or over the edge.

Also managed to snap off one of my bamboo arrows on the way up when I got hung up in some willow bushes.

Didn't get him with the bow... next year a goat gets a yard of bamboo. :)

RC

LBR 10-20-2010 10:36 AM

TC! How the heck are ya?? Way too long man!

Centxrecurve 10-20-2010 12:02 PM

Pretty Country

Tuffcity 10-20-2010 07:56 PM

Hey LB! Yes it has been too long. Doing good up here, you? Blacktails are starting to take an interest in each other so fingers crossed for the weekend. :)

RC

Schultzy 10-21-2010 07:28 AM

Outstanding pictures Tuff!!

As for myself I arrowed a bear September 26th. Only hunted whitetails twice so far but that will be changing from here on out.

LBR 10-21-2010 12:59 PM

Congrats Schultzy!

Doing good here R.C.--staying busy, not hunting nearly enough. Temps hit at least 86 here today....ugh.....

I still plan to get up there and visit with Marc. Any ideas on how a fellow could arrange a bear hunt on a budget up there?