Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Season opens soon.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Season opens soon.

Still have a few weeks left, but im getting ready. Wooooo, hoooo. Good luck to everyone.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:01 AM
Fork Horn

In the county in Texas where I live, the archery season opens up on October 2nd.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Thats where I'm at as well. Tejas.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:47 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Oct. 1st in MS--and it's cooling off a tad to boot!

Also got permission (actually a request) to go to a neighbor's farm and kill every hog I can see. Herd is still small, but doing a lot of damage. They popped up not long ago, and since the first sightings it seems the herd is growing pretty quick in spite of attempts to erase it. Figure we'll have a population that is pretty huntable within a few years. Right now they bolt at the sight or sound of a human (even from a distance), and catching one in a trap is rare--they are just too smart. Guess they are taking lessons from our deer.....
Old 09-14-2010, 02:01 PM
Dominant Buck

LBR
They will take over the place. We know it well here in Texas. Not a bad thing (other than for farmers). They are great practice for deer and perty good eaten. Just wait, you will be seeing tuns of them. A sow can start breeding at about 1 year of age. Sows can have litters of up to 13+ and can drop two litters a year.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:08 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I'm familiar with domestic hogs--my dad raised them for 20 years or more. How similar are feral hogs? Seems the breeding habits are the same, but I noticed the little feral hogs are always striped? I figure the sows are just as mean and protective too.

This area is prime habitat for hogs--it's practically all creek bottoms, farm land, cutover, and some timber. Three major creeks running here, plus several small ones, plus fish ponds, beaver ponds, sloughs, slashes, etc.

Lots of rednecks too though. I love to hunt pigs, but feel sorry for the farmers. How do the deer and turkey fare with them?
Old 09-14-2010, 07:46 PM
Fork Horn

I have seen deer eating at same feeder as hogs.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:43 AM
Dominant Buck

Deer tend to live with hogs ok. They dont tend to like each other. I have seen hogs and big bucks face off and snort and blow/grunt at each other trying to run the other off.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:45 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

A big concern here, besides crops, is hogs will hurt the deer/turkey/quail/etc. populations. I'd think that food for them will be at least as plentiful, if not moreso, here than most anywhere in TX.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:49 PM
Spike

Oct 1st opens deer season here in Indiana I am looking forward to it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.