Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
left hand or right hand recurve >

left hand or right hand recurve

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

left hand or right hand recurve

Old 09-08-2010, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default left hand or right hand recurve

I'm left handed and my dominant eye is left eye... I've been shooting a right handed compound evere since I started 30 years ago... I just got into traditional archery last fall... Anyhow I've been practicing alot and im pretty decent out to 20 yards with 15 really being my most deadliest... I've learned that with my dominat eye being my left that I have a tendancy to shoot to my left so I compinsate by aim more to my right... It work out pretty good... I was thinking about trying a left handed recurve but thought I'd post hear and ask what you think... Im figuring it would take some time to learn how to shot left handed... What you guys think???
Old 09-08-2010, 02:52 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I've read a lot of discussions/debates on this. Some say go with your dominant eye regardless of your dominant hand, some don't. I've heard of several folks having problems trying to shoot "cross dominant".

I think shooting with your dominant hand and eye is worth a serious try. It probably will take a little getting used to, but it can be done. I know a guy who shoots both right and left handed--depends on which side the arthritus is bothering the worst on a given day. He's a decent shot either way--but he practices a LOT.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:12 PM
Spike

I think you will be able to pick up shooting with your left hand and eye pretty fast. If you're a dominant lefty in general, things will feel more natural when you do them with your left "side", so I say it might be worth trying for a while.

The big thing I see is unlearning the "bad habits" (if you can call them that) when switching sides, e.g. aim compensation to the right.

btw hi i'm new here.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:10 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Welcome aboard Harry!
Old 09-09-2010, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I may try my luck on ebay for a desent used lefthanded bow...
Old 09-09-2010, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Two of my friends both switched...one for eye dominance,the other for target panic. Both said the change really wasn't that hard to do,it's just a matter of getting used to it

Also...both shoot better than they did before
Old 09-17-2010, 02:15 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Mr. Longbeard
I may try my luck on ebay for a desent used lefthanded bow...
thats how I bought many of my bows. I bought 3
bear recurves off ebay and they were probably the best I've bought. One word of advice though, if your fortunate enough to buy a black widow used off ebay, make sure you visit the Black Widow website for some cover stickers. Every black widow has the owners name on the limbs so youll want to get te cover stickers to cover over the previous owners name.