Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

New FF tips

Old 03-14-2010, 03:27 PM
bigcountry

Default New FF tips

I had some older zipper limbs, that were not fast flight compatable. After around 5K shots, I started getting cracks in the overlays. So I decided to grind off the wood overlays, and try my hand at phenolic. The first layer was supposed to be brown, but turned out yellow. Not sure if I like that.

Kanga helped out with the advise. Many thanks brother.

I made a crue heat box with a cardboard box and a 250watt light, to get temps to 140F to cure. Threw on 3 coats of spar urathane and heres what I got. Now I can use FF string, and gave my old limbs some new life. Only took 3-4 hours labor.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mark.

IMHO those turned out great a job well done congrats Bro
Old 03-14-2010, 07:44 PM
bigcountry

Thanks Russ, my only worry is I had about 30% of the limb under the box in the heat. But it never got over 150F.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Mate I wouldn't be too worried about that
Old 04-22-2010, 10:25 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

How are the tips holding up? Looks great in the pics, IMO.

Chad
Old 04-22-2010, 01:16 PM
Fork Horn

I like the yellow color in the tips. Makes the yellow stand out against the black color of the phenolic and the brown color of the limbs.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:48 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by LBR
How are the tips holding up? Looks great in the pics, IMO.

Chad
Pretty good. I was worried that I glue starved them. As I was told to use a toothing plane to make gaps and I didn't. But I shot em about 200 times. Thinking of replacing others on other bows with antler.

How's it going Chad. Long time no talk. Doubt I can come down south this year to shoot at the TN Classic. I am spending a lot of time in Ottawa these days.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:52 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Doesn't look like I will make it to the Classic this year either--first time I'll miss it since I started going, several years ago.

I've been in FL for a while, back and forth between here and home while my wife stays here full time. My mother-in-law lives here, and is dying of bile duct cancer. So far it hasn't been very painful, but there's no kind of treatment for it. From what I can tell, the patient winds up starving. My MIL doesn't eat enough to keep a parakeet alive, and often vomits if she can get a bite down. She's living mostly on a few bites of crushed ice and a little water every day, and she's taking in less and less of that.

The situation could be worse though. She's in her 80's, lived a good life, done pretty much everything she ever wanted to do, and knows where she is going when this life is over. With us here she's able to stay home, and we can medicate her for pain and nausea as needed. My wife is an only child, so we don't have any other family to relieve us, but her neighbors check in all the time and give us little breaks to go out and eat or just get out of the house for a little while. Never thought I'd get tired of eating out, but I am (she can't stand the smell of food cooking in the house).

I might be able to make it to the IBO Trad World Championship at Twin Oaks--hope so anyway. If not, there's always next year.

Chad
Old 04-23-2010, 06:59 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by LBR
Doesn't look like I will make it to the Classic this year either--first time I'll miss it since I started going, several years ago.

I've been in FL for a while, back and forth between here and home while my wife stays here full time. My mother-in-law lives here, and is dying of bile duct cancer. So far it hasn't been very painful, but there's no kind of treatment for it. From what I can tell, the patient winds up starving. My MIL doesn't eat enough to keep a parakeet alive, and often vomits if she can get a bite down. She's living mostly on a few bites of crushed ice and a little water every day, and she's taking in less and less of that.

The situation could be worse though. She's in her 80's, lived a good life, done pretty much everything she ever wanted to do, and knows where she is going when this life is over. With us here she's able to stay home, and we can medicate her for pain and nausea as needed. My wife is an only child, so we don't have any other family to relieve us, but her neighbors check in all the time and give us little breaks to go out and eat or just get out of the house for a little while. Never thought I'd get tired of eating out, but I am (she can't stand the smell of food cooking in the house).

I might be able to make it to the IBO Trad World Championship at Twin Oaks--hope so anyway. If not, there's always next year.

Chad
Sounds rough. I hate cancer. Most destructive devastating word I know. Hang in there.

Just got back from traveling myself and look forward to just a simple bolona sandwich.

Old 04-24-2010, 03:13 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Thanks BC--it's bad, but it could be worse. My wife is taking it as well as she can, but it's still hard on her. It's rough on me too, but I've delt with this sort of thing more than she has. Not like you get used to it, but you learn to deal with it better I guess.

If you can make it to Twin Oaks, go for it--it really is as good as it gets, and there will be plenty of friendly faces there to show you around.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.