Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
Do it yourself Wool String Silencers >

Do it yourself Wool String Silencers

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Do it yourself Wool String Silencers

Old 01-24-2010, 11:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Do it yourself Wool String Silencers

In these tough economic times we all like to save money where we can.

Here is a simple, cheap and quick way to make some wool string silencers.

First off we have to make a jig, I cannot claim the idea of the jig as mine, but it’s a neat idea anyway.

Using a coat hanger, the one that has the cut out piece for spaghetti straps, cut it out so it looks like this.

So much for the hard part of this build.

Now get some wool yarn from the craft store, the best thing about this is you can make them in any color you want.
I even seen some camo yarn, the yarn cost me a whooping $2.99 for 170 yards.

Now using the jig wrap about 25 to 30 loops.

Once the loops have been done tie them in the middle while still on the jig, trim up the tie ends, do not cut them just yet.

After you have made the second one, separate the your string.

Place the bundles at either end of the string about 10 inches from your loops.

String the bow this will secure them into place.

Now being very careful not to cut the string cut the bundles so you have a lot of single strands.

Note for photo purposes the bow is not strung but before you cut them have the bow strung.

To get them to puff up it is just a mater of shooting the bow and there you have it, nice homemade wool silencers.

The estimated cost per set is just mere pennies and 5 minutes of your time.
It took me longer to do this write up than to make the silencers.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:17 AM
bigcountry

But Russ, its not the special wool yarn others use. They said they have looked all over and not found yarn like they use?

Old 01-25-2010, 10:07 AM
Spike

Great idea, and timely. I just got into the traditional thing and was looking at some silencers for my recurve. Do you just tie them to the string once they're in place to keep them from falling out when unstrung?

I also read about wrapping yarn around the string where it hits the limbs. Have you done this, and if so do you do it like your whipping a rope?
Old 01-25-2010, 11:09 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by underdawg
Great idea, and timely. I just got into the traditional thing and was looking at some silencers for my recurve. Do you just tie them to the string once they're in place to keep them from falling out when unstrung?

I also read about wrapping yarn around the string where it hits the limbs. Have you done this, and if so do you do it like your whipping a rope?
Your going to want to tie them in place. I use serving or D97 waxed string material.

The yarn wrapping gig works on recurves ok. But each thing you add slows down your bow and may change a tune.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

I dont tie them in and so far I have not lost a set and they have not moved.

But Russ, its not the special wool yarn others use. They said they have looked all over and not found yarn like they use?
Mark

Special yarn my butt
Old 01-25-2010, 11:41 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Kanga
I dont tie them in and so far I have not lost a set and they have not moved.

Mark

Special yarn my butt
Yea, I paid 16 dollars for two sets of the "hush kit". Hey, suckers born everyday.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hey, suckers born everyday.
Mark.

Thats so true.

But hey if I can make the same thing for a few pennies then you know me I am gonna make it

You should see the riser I am am working on as the major prize for the e-mag

Made my own green and gold phenolic for it.

Man she's gonna look sharp when it's done.

The main wood in the riser is Shedura

Have the first limb in the heat box now.

Black Walnut on the back Osage wedges and really nice grained Mesquite on the belly butt overlays are gonna be Shedura with antler tips
Old 01-25-2010, 12:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Double post
Old 01-25-2010, 05:36 PM
Fork Horn

I've used the wool yarn and have always liked it. At a fall festival I was walking past a llama dispay and some balls of yarn caught my eye. I tried some and really like it more than wool. It really puffs up more than wool and just looks good. I think it is very waterproof too. The llama lady, came to our United Bowhunters of Illinois banquet and had a blast there. She even advertises in our newletter, so it you want to try some, and it doesnt cost much more that wool, check them out at www.llamafun.net. The colors can't get more natural and she'll combine two colors in a ball for you.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:27 PM
Spike

very nice!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.