Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Anybody Hunting?

Old 10-26-2009, 10:03 AM
Dominant Buck

I was able to get away Sunday afternoon. Hunted for about an hour and a half. Shot a boar that was around the 300lb range. Only problem, I stuck the arrow in his shield. The bow I was using was one of my longbows, only 58lbs at 28 inches, so I only got about 6" of penetration. He broke off the arrow and ran. I tracked him for about a mile where he went into a hackberry/brier grove. There was no way in the world I could have drung him out of a mile or so Of briers, through trails not high enough for me to do more than crawl. So long story short, no pics. On my way back to my truck, I jumped an racoon, which I decided to take. I didnt take any pictures, but I did skin him and plan on making a hip quiver out of his hide once I finish tanning it. Ill post the quiver when Im done.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:50 AM
bigcountry

I was wondering if one can penetrate that shield. I have only boar hunted once and ended up killing with a 44 magnum. Good luck kent.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bigcountry
I was wondering if one can penetrate that shield. I have only boar hunted once and ended up killing with a 44 magnum. Good luck kent.

It's best to shoot low, it's almost impossible to penetrate with a bow, even with training wheels.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by The Rev
It's best to shoot low, it's almost impossible to penetrate with a bow, even with training wheels.
What about shooting them in butt? Any luck with that approach you think...asking the expert here!?
Old 10-28-2009, 10:51 AM
Spike

Trying to get up november 6, 7, 8 for some hopeful rut action> hoping that the full moon on nov 2 and a bit of cold weather will get things going.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:11 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by RLoving1
What about shooting them in butt? Any luck with that approach you think...asking the expert here!?
Is this the reason they refer to it as "tx heart shot"

Old 11-16-2009, 03:45 PM
Fork Horn

May of got a place to hunt. Looking at 40 acres north of big bend ,TX
Old 11-16-2009, 08:06 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

One of the slowest seasons in memory for me, so far anyway. Weather isn't cooperating, deer aren't either. Talked to an old friend in GA today, that I haven't talked to in quite a while, and was encouraged--got to get with him and set up a pig hunt, and next year maybe a pig/turkey combo hunt--whoo-hoo!

Chad
Old 11-17-2009, 03:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got up to my cabin for the last weekend and wound up tagging an 8pt on Friday the 13th....10yd shot and piled up within 40yds
Old 11-17-2009, 03:31 AM
bigcountry

Good job Jim. Fine deer. Thanks for the update. Great shot also.

Saw the biggest deer of my life at 400 yards Sat. Every bit of a 160" deer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.