HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Archery (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery-19/)
-   -   Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery/305955-hunting.html)

Centxrecurve 10-05-2009 06:29 PM

Hunting

Does anyone hunt squirrels with their bow.

BowHuntingFool 10-05-2009 07:14 PM

I hunt everything with my bow. I love chasing Squirrels with my Longbow! Too much fun! Get yourself a good blunt head, Hex, Ace works well! I hit one with a Judo the other day, smacked him a good one, he ran off with my arrow in him and went up a tree and my arrow fell out! I couldn't believe it! I'll ONLY you a blunt type head from now on!

Centxrecurve 10-05-2009 07:43 PM

LOL I am trying it when the season opens here. My brothers laghed at me when I told em. I have tried my luck with duck coming off pond. I almost got one last year.

burniegoeasily 10-06-2009 04:37 AM

Use to hunt squirrel all the time when I was a kid. We use to make blunts out of old 38 casings. It is a lot of fun.

Centxrecurve 10-06-2009 11:29 AM

lol when I get home to try that bow should I use stringer or just step thru. and bend with leg

burniegoeasily 10-06-2009 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Centxrecurve (Post 3465252)
lol when I get home to try that bow should I use stringer or just step thru. and bend with leg

A stringer is always prefered. I tend to use the push pull methode, but am trying to get out of the habit. Been doing it that way for over 20 years. I made me my first stringer last year and have been trying to make a point to use it. Its just safer for you and the bow.

Centxrecurve 10-06-2009 12:28 PM

what does your stringer look like for the longbow? I cheated on my recurve and used a piece of 1/2 inch webbing and just tied clove hitches on inside of grooves worked great but not sure it's going to work on longbow that way

live2Draw 10-07-2009 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Centxrecurve (Post 3465302)
what does your stringer look like for the longbow? I cheated on my recurve and used a piece of 1/2 inch webbing and just tied clove hitches on inside of grooves worked great but not sure it's going to work on longbow that way

when i bought the one for the recurve, they had longbow ones too. it looked identical....only longer lol

burniegoeasily 10-07-2009 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Centxrecurve (Post 3465302)

They will pretty much work for any bow. I just braded me some dacron 50 and made me some buffalo leather cups and tied the braided string to the cups. Works like a charm.

Schultzy 10-08-2009 05:17 AM

I've shot many squirrels with my recurve, It's pretty exciting stuff!! It has gotten a tad spendy at times though, a few of my old 2216's are still up In a tree I'm thinking.