Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 String Catching on Shoulder >

String Catching on Shoulder

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

String Catching on Shoulder

Old 05-21-2003, 04:11 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Default String Catching on Shoulder

I' m new to the traditional ranks, been shooting my recurve for a couple weeks now. I don' t have anyone around here to help me so I read Asbells book on instinctive shooting and am using his method. It feels comfortable to me and I think I' m doing well so far. Question is about one in every ten shots the string hits my shirt and sometimes my shoulder on my bow arm. I' m not wearing baggy shirts so that isn' t the problem. I think I may be leaning too far into the shot once in a while instead of just canting my head, or am I canting the bow too far? I know it will be hard if not impossible to tell without watching me shoot. No one around here shoots this way so can' t have anyone watch me and know what they are supposed to be looking for. Thanks.
Old 05-21-2003, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: String Catching on Shoulder

my first guess would be you are standing square to the target, try opening up your stance a little. Also dont lock out your elbow, a slight bend in it is good. Upright or canting is fine either way, just make sure you cant your head with your bow and your bow with your head. Also bend forward at the waste if you are going to do so......hope it helps.
Old 05-22-2003, 08:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

You might also be letting your bow arm shoulder come up and in during the draw, maybe even touching your chin. Be sure to keep that shoulder low, and both shoulders inline, pointing at the target.

Stand in front of a mirror and assume your shooting stance, turn your face to the mirror, then draw your bow and aim at the mirror. Check to make sure your head is canted at the same angle as the cant of the bow, that your shoulder is down and lined up with the other shoulder. And keep that elbow unlocked!
Old 05-24-2003, 10:11 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys, I was locking my elbow when shooting. I' ve shot twice since with a slight bend and it seems to have fixed the problem. Appreciate it.