Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
Would it be wrong to do BH tests? >

Would it be wrong to do BH tests?

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Would it be wrong to do BH tests?

Old 09-25-2009, 10:33 AM
bigcountry

Default Would it be wrong to do BH tests?

I dropped a doe this morning. I was talking with a buddy, about penetration. I thought about standing the doe up someway or another and firing an arrow thru the shoulder at 20 yards to see the effect. But that felt wrong so I decided not too.

Anyone ever fired accidentially or not a trad bow thru a shoulder?

Old 09-25-2009, 11:37 AM
Dominant Buck

I dont see what the problem would be. You, or someone, is about to take a knife to it and cut it up into pieces.

I did shoot a doe once through the shoulder. Not on purpose. It was with a 60lb ipe bow, with a 125 grain thunderhead. It went in pretty deep. Not a pass through, but bearly poked out the skin on the back side. It was about a 15 yard shot. The doe went down in about 75 yards.

With compounds, ive shot behind the shoulder on the enterance, and exited through the shoulder on the back side. Sever with complete pass throughs. A deers shoulder blade is pretty thin. That is, as long as it goes through the infraspinatus or supraspinatus. Almost no issue

Last edited by burniegoeasily; 09-25-2009 at 11:39 AM.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:52 PM
bigcountry

I don't know soemthing didn't feel right about it.

I remember first time I flinged a trad shot a deer. I thought no way it could penetrate much. Was pleasently surprised to see the arrow go in and disappear out the other side.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I put a Sitka spruce shaft tipped with a Zwickey Eskimo 125gr thru the shoulder blade on a small 5pt a few yrs ago. I had to use a pliers to get the BH out of the far blade. Sounded like 2 2x4's smacking together when it hit
Old 09-25-2009, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

By shoulder, I take it you mean the scapula?
It varies in difficulty and thickness - hardest toward the "knuckel.
I passed thru the center near side on a 2 1/2 yo doe last year and broke the offside leg. 53# recurve, 420 gr carbon arrow, 4 blade 125gr Magnus Stinger.
Older deer or near the outer ridge will be more difficult but doable. Hit the knuckle and all bets are off regardless of the equipment.

Steve
Old 09-25-2009, 07:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mark.

In all honesty I dont think there is anything wrong with doing some testing.

How else you gonna know what is going to happen with a missed place shot.

The doe is certianly not going to complain
Old 09-26-2009, 11:00 AM
Typical Buck

Chuck Adams did it with an elephant, I don't see a problem with it.

Congrats on your doe!!
Old 09-26-2009, 03:28 PM
bigcountry

Guess looking back I should have taken the opportunity. Maybe draw a wheelie shooter from the dark side in the process. He didn't believe it could be done.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:41 AM
Fork Horn

I did it last year and learned a few things about my gear. I was using Zwickey 4 blades and learned the bleeder blades curled up when hitting bone of any significants. For me passing thru was more important so I cut the bleeders off and went back to two blades. Shooting the carcass isn't a bad idea at all.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

It would be wrong to do any BH testing on a live animal. Testing on a dead animal is fine in my mind. The info. you learn may help you in the future, and may guide you in your shot selection on animals in the future. Nothing bad can come of that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.