Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
Tomahawk/ Great Northern Longbows >

Tomahawk/ Great Northern Longbows

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Tomahawk/ Great Northern Longbows

Old 09-06-2009, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Tomahawk/ Great Northern Longbows

The fiancee has decided to get me somethin I really want for my upcoming "milestone" (40th) B-day.

After thinking about various compounds I said to myself "screw that!"

I'd really love to have a (fairly traditional) RD longbow, or 50s style recurve.

Can anyone provide me some feedback on the Tomahawks or GN bows (bushbow, ghost, crittergitters)?
Old 09-06-2009, 06:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff.

From what I hear the Tomahawks are a good bow, I think Joe (BowHuntingFool) had one, can't help ya with the GN tho.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welp, I've done my research, asked around-

Barring any unforseen issues I decided to go with a bow I've wanted for many years- Great Northern's Ghost Recurve. Seems to be universally one of those "love it" or "wish I'd never got rid of it!" bows.

I'll be doing Paduak for the riser, and flat/face grain Red Elm for the limbs. Not going crazy on poundage and get myself overbowed- 48@27" (+/- 2 pounds). Plenty to kill a whitetail with.

Here's the stock pic from the website
Old 09-08-2009, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice bow!I've never seen any GN in person but from what I read in Dan Bertalans "Traditional Bowyers of America" I'd say they're very good bows.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Is that a Longbow Style Grip?
Old 09-08-2009, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BobCo19-65
Is that a Longbow Style Grip?

Yep that is GN's traditional grip- they also have a locator style

Old 09-22-2009, 12:21 PM
Spike

Default Longbow

JeffB I would take a look @ WESS WALLACE,MOHAWK or CENTAUR archery,I own all three & have shot longbows since1996.Best shooting bows on the planet.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:43 PM
Spike

Glad to see we have another bite in the trad room. I bet you will never go back. There is no feeling like harveting your first deer squirrle etc with ar trad bow. I love walking out of state land with a trad bow and a deer behind me. You definatly get some looks. Good luck with it.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:27 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Both have a reputation for quality. Whether or not you will like it depends on you. I've shot a Tomahawk or three, and a GN Ghost...nice enough, just not the bows for me. Had a fellow bring a Ghost by my shop one day--couldn't get it quiet. We tinkered with that thing for a long time, no luck. I was taking a break, just about ready to give up, and he hollered at me. He finally got it VERY quiet by moving the silencers way out, 12" or so from the tips. That one broke the rules.

There's lots of great bows on the market, but threre's not any that are "Can't go wrong with this one!". No one bow or style will be "THE" bow for everyone. I've shot gobs of bows that got stellar reviews on web sites (most were "can't go wrong with this one") that didn't impress me in the least, and didn't stay around for long if I owned it.

Anyhow, have fun with it, and happy 40th!

Chad
Old 09-23-2009, 04:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

I hear nothing but good things about the bows you mentioned. I shoot a Mohawk this season and have a Big River on order. I feel the Mohawk is the best shooting bow out there right now for the money, plain and simple! You can also look in the classifieds on tradgang and find some wicked deals on used bows, its a buyers market right now!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.