Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

New Mexico Elk!

Old 08-24-2009, 07:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Like I said earlier, good luck!!
Old 08-25-2009, 04:41 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Thanks! It just keeps getting better.....it looks like we will also have acess to several thousand acres surrounding the farm we are hunting..SWEET!

Chad
Old 08-25-2009, 12:52 PM
Dominant Buck

Excellent. You have a good time.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Have fun. Sounds like a great setup. Just finish my strings before you leave, please. LOL
Old 08-26-2009, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

must be nice...good luck man!

I'm trying to sell bows so I can afford boots and gas to go on a cheap hunt...not quite something I'm used to doing! oh well life goes on whether or not I get to hunt.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:54 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Hope to have all string orders out before I leave--got yours on the way!

It just keeps getting better. Yesterday I found out that MAYBE I'll only have to pay about $550 for my license (instead of almost $780) because it's a landowner tag I'll be using--SWEET! Also got a car rented for less than $400--saved a few bucks by renting early, if I had booked it sooner I would have saved a little more. Still, the difference in gas (not to mention wear and tear, tires, oil, etc.) between driving a rental and my truck will almost pay for the rental. My regular car insurance will cover it, so I didn't have to buy the rental place's insurance (more than doubles the cost).

Shot a few arrows with my leafy suit on yesterday. After a few warm-up arrows, I kept 5 out of 6 in the "10" ring on my elk target @ 25 yds. The one that was out was a complete miss (low)--I just flat blew the shot. I'm going to practice with the suit on--at least the hood and jacket--every day until I leave. It's different, but doable, at least at 25 yds and in. I'm hoping for a closer shot than that, but I know I can handle at least 25 yds. (if my heart will just keep beating!).

This hunt is just a dream come true for me. I was able to hunt elk once in CO, a couple of years ago. Had a great time, but the elk didn't cooperate, and it was a short hunt. I should have 6 days to hunt on this one, plus no mountains to deal with, no packing in (can drive to the camp site), possibly no packing out or at worst a short pack out if we kill one (or two). Fresh water on hand (no filling up jugs with a filter pump), no horse to tend to (Leroy was cool, but he had to be taken care of every day).....there will only be two of us, but I think the company is going to be great. Don't get me wrong--I really enjoyed the CO hunt, and the company was excellent, but it was a lot of work and I wasn't in shape for it. I didn't get my lungs back until we were walking out--a bit too late! The rest of the time I was wondering where my lungs had gone! For that kind of hunt, I need at least 10 days, because it took me 4-5 to be able to breathe in the mountain air.

Every day I get more excited--may not be so hard to stay awake for the 1,300+ mile drive! Well, I'll get to stop just shy of 1,300 and spend the night in a motel (get a good night's sleep before we start hunting), but before it's over I'll have traveled over 2,600 miles round-trip. Actually it won't be much different than the drive to CO, just nobody to share the drive with. Did I mention I am REALLY excited?

Chad
Old 08-27-2009, 12:56 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Dan, life does go on, and it will get better. For a few years I was in really bad shape, financially and otherwise, but I never gave up and life has never been so good. You are still young--just hang in there.

Chad
Old 08-27-2009, 02:20 PM
Typical Buck

That's awesome Chad, you have me excited and I am not even going anywhere this year. I look forward to see how everything works out for you, sounds like you have it going in the right direction.

Good luck!!
Old 08-27-2009, 06:27 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Thanks! I'm so wound up, I know I'm driving my wife crazy. All she hears me talk about is this hunt!

Shooting update: Today I shot from a seated position, at around 18 yds. First couple of 6 arrow groups weren't that good--too wound up, rushing the shots, not concentrating at all. Almost all were in the kill, but at that distance on a target that big it was awful.

Slowed down, focused on form and follow-through, put 6 out of 6 low in the "10" ring on my elk target--right where I wanted them. I have to make myself slow down and focus--hard to do when I'm going from wide-open in the shop to rushing to get a little shooting in before dark. I'm only getting a couple dozen shots in, but so far so good. I've been shooting this bow long enough that it's like a part of me, but I do need more shooting with the leafy suit on.

I'm feeling a lot better about the leafy suit. I didn't use an armguard today either (forgot), but only a couple of the shots caught the suit. Increased noise, but didn't seem to hurt arrow flight. Only seem to be catching a couple of the "leaves", even when sitting low. An armguard will fix that, no problem.

Chad
Old 08-28-2009, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Got them yesterday. Thanks. They're perfect.
Slowed down, focused on form and follow-through, put 6 out of 6 low in the "10" ring on my elk target--right where I wanted them. I have to make myself slow down and focus--hard to do when I'm going from wide-open in the shop to rushing to get a little shooting in before dark.
Think it's hard to focus now? Wait until that monster is 18 yards away bugling. LOL. I hope this trip is all you dream and more. Have fun and be safe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.