HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Archery (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery-19/)
-   -   Metal/Heavy Risers? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery/297101-metal-heavy-risers.html)

LBR 07-03-2009 06:26 AM

Metal/Heavy Risers?

Anybody here shoot them? I know theres been all kinds of stinks raised on other boards about this one and that one, who copied who, etc. etc. etc. That's not what this is about--I'm just curious.

I've shot a few metal riser recurves. A good friend of mine is "addicted" to them, and he does shoot them extremely well. I just acquired (actually he gave it to me) a td longbow with an elk antler for a riser (Voodoo Stick). The antler is stabilized somehow by being impregnated with epoxy or rosin or something--at any rate, it's VERY heavy, especially compared to the bows I normally shoot. I was able to shoot it well though, within a couple of dozen arrows. I grouped with it the first time I shot it, although it took a few arrows to move the group to the spot I wanted.

No doubt these bows have an advantage on a target range, but how many hunt with them? I'll take the Voodoo bow hunting next season, but I don't know about taking it on a trip where I'll be carrying it all day long. What are your thoughts?

Chad

JRW 07-03-2009 07:56 AM

RE: Metal/Heavy Risers?

If you're used to carrying a lightweight longbow, a heavy recurve may feel cumbersome. Personally, I was used to recurves anyway when I started shooting metal risers, so it was a moot point. Aside from that, not all metal risers weigh the same. By Black Bear Warf riser with a weighted lower limb pocket feels like a heavy, blocky tank compared to my relatively light and slimTrad Tech Titan.

Chris W. 07-03-2009 10:58 AM

I hunted with a black bear warfed riser lik Jason's for a couple of seasons. Compared to that cruasader you carry it's a tank of a bow, but man did it shoot. The only time I found the weight to be an issue was hiking the hills up on the cumberland plateau. It made a great tree stand bow.

Kosherboy 07-03-2009 12:59 PM

I have never tried one ???????

bigcountry 07-05-2009 06:40 AM

I have shot olympic style metal risers. Shoot good. But I myself do not like them. Reason I got into traditional was the beautiful woods. I saw the guy from zipper bows is experimenting with metal risers for some reason. He had one at the baltimore trad classic.

BobCo19-65 07-06-2009 05:19 AM

The added weight does seem to make a more stable bow. About the heaviest bowthat I own is my Bob Lee takedown recurve with the four limb bolts. If you are shooting or carriying it all day it does seem to get a little heavy. But for that first shot, you really can not beat it. Its funny how after usingthe Leefor a while and switching to a one piece HH style bamboo longbow how light it is.

LBR 07-06-2009 06:54 AM

It seems that the metal/very heavy risers and ILF limbs are the new "flavor of the month", and several bowyers are chasing it. Some folks are asking "why didn't they do this sooner?". My guess is that answer will come out sooner or later.

Chad

JRW 07-12-2009 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by LBR (Post 3377675)
It seems that the metal/very heavy risers and ILF limbs are the new "flavor of the month", and several bowyers are chasing it.

Chad

I don't disagree. Any time something "new" comes along, we see the same thing. Just look at the broadhead market. Every year or so a new broadhead hits the scene and people flock to it. Within another year or two most of those people have either moved on to the next new thing or went back to what they've used in the past.

LBR 07-12-2009 06:05 PM

Any time something "new" comes along, we see the same thing.
Yep--I used to think the traditional crowd was above falling for gimmicks. Now I know people are people, regardless if they shoot a compound or a selfbow.

Chad

Voodoo 07-13-2009 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by LBR (Post 3375900)

No doubt these bows have an advantage on a target range, but how many hunt with them? I'll take the Voodoo bow hunting next season, but I don't know about taking it on a trip where I'll be carrying it all day long. What are your thoughts?

Chad

CHAD,Ya big 'ol Weenie!, That bow will put hair on your chest!..lol,lol,lol,

I don't care much for metal risers myself , they have their place, but I don't shoot spots, and have absolutely no desire to enter into competitive archery, except when amongst my friends. I have no doubt they are a fine weapon, but they just leave me cold.

And Chad, they are impregnated with an special Epoxy resin, which not only makes them heavier than your average longbow, but the special epoxy also helps deaden any vibrations, it does need a new string though, want me to make you one?,lol,lol........Just teasing my friend, Thanks for the strings too, they should work great.....and by the way, if for some reason you don't like #1, just send it back and I'll build you one that's lighter, No Charge! seriously!, I planned on building you one anyway, just got too far behind, the choice is yours, if you want a brand new Elk risered bow built just for you.... just ask!.....Steve