HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Archery (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery-19/)
-   -   finally got some time to finish a bow (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery/296141-finally-got-some-time-finish-bow.html)

burniegoeasily 06-16-2009 07:10 PM

finally got some time to finish a bow

This is a bow I have been trying to finish for some time. Its made from a bamboo pole, a piece of ipe decking, and an osage log Rowell brought me back in the fall. Yep Rowell, this is from that wood you brought that had been eat up by ants.

The bow is bamboo backed, ipe/osage core, and ipe belly. 67" ntn 55lbs @ 28" with antler tips. I was shooting for 65Lbs at 28" but had some tiller issues. Had to thin up the limbs a little more than I wanted due to a twist issue. Now that it is done, I think I like the thinner limbs and the lighter weight. I shot it about 100 times to break it in, and it is one of those bows you can shoot all day. Now if I can find time to tune some arrows to it and get to know it. I might try to tune it while at Rowell's this weekend.

All I got to do today is to make a string and take some pictures. Ive been moving my shop to a new place all day as you can tell by my haggard apperance. I guess this will be the last bow made in this old shop. Damn, Im so sick of moving. Two more house holds left. ARrrrggggg.

bigcountry 06-16-2009 07:16 PM

RE: finally got some time to finish a bow

A real work of art there Kent. I am a little hesitate to try my hand at a trilam. Love the accent strip.

Folks I have found out first hand, it ain't easy as Kent makes it looks

bigcountry 06-16-2009 07:22 PM

How cow, I was just looking over it again, and thats a freakin quad lam. What glue did you use?

burniegoeasily 06-16-2009 08:12 PM

Thanks Mark. I truly appreciate it. Yep, its a Quad-lam. I was feeling a little froggy and wanted to see how that cofiguration worked. I think I like It. I have not had a chance to tune some arrows to it, but shooting it in felt real good.

burniegoeasily 06-16-2009 08:14 PM

Oh yea, I used Titebond III. I did with three glue ups.

Kanga 06-17-2009 08:04 AM

Superb craftmanship as per usual;)

bigcountry 06-17-2009 08:05 AM

I know you probably don't care about hat sort of thing, but you ought to enter it in the lam bow of the month at primitive archer. I would sure vote for it.

burniegoeasily 06-17-2009 08:37 AM

Thanks agian.

Mark, Id do that, but im not sure how.

burniegoeasily 06-17-2009 09:28 AM

Here is a better view of the handle area. People always say that this design looks kind of funky in the handle area. I do this to get a good pistol grip feel. Also, my whole handle area, including fades, is a total of 9". I do that to give me as much working limb as i can.

bigcountry 06-17-2009 02:12 PM

Kent, just post the build on PA and old school will take will add it to the list. Its a freakin shoe in. If I didn't make bows and wasn't so hell bent to get one looking good, I would pay you top dollar for a bow like that.