HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Archery (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery-19/)
-   -   Say need some info Root or Shakespear recurves (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery/295772-say-need-some-info-root-shakespear-recurves.html)

JW 06-11-2009 05:13 AM

Say need some info Root or Shakespear recurves

I have been out of archery far too long but cleaning out my Dad's garage I found some Golden Eagles (metal handle and composite limbs) to me was early taken down bow and some other Root Archery & Shakespear Recurve Bows.

Root Archery was out of Big Rapids, MI used to manufacture Shakespear recurves.

So I am looking for help if these are worth anything or even if I should let them go.

I know about stress cracking and need some help on that too.

I can provide pictures.

JW

LBR 06-11-2009 05:43 AM

RE: Say need some info Root or Shakespear recurves

I don't know anything about the collector value, but the old Root recurves have a reputation as shooters, as do some of the Shakespears.

My guess is they probably have more sentimental value than collector value.

Chad

JW 06-25-2009 07:30 PM

I need to find my camera.

To me the Golden Eagle was a precursor today's compounds. The laminated limbs can be removed

JW

Seif5034 06-26-2009 05:14 PM

As my first trad bow I picked up a Shakespeare Archery long recurve (25# draw) at a second hand shop for only $8. So I can't imagine the Shakesspeare being worth much money - wise.

JW 06-27-2009 04:39 AM

Not looking to sell them - but will probably give them away rather than cut them up.

I have been out of archery far to long so was more than curious.

JW

JRW 06-29-2009 05:57 PM

I own a number of Root recurves. If you could post some photos or some additional info, I may be able to help you out.

ahunter55 09-04-2009 07:38 PM

The Golden Eagles take downs were widley used by tournament archers back in the 60s & many top shooters used them. Root-Me & a couple of my Navy Buddies used them back in the late 50s early 60s. I would gladly take A Golden Eagle off your hands depending on poundage.
I took 38 animals with recurves & am currenty going out this year with a Take down 60# Carroll recurve from the mid 70s. Let me know poundage, condition & a price.

iowabuckslayer 09-10-2009 05:57 PM

i sure woul like to find something like that. My luck stink's anymore. I cant even get out of bed without falling. LOL

i'd take any of them i could get. and pay shipping too.

JW 09-10-2009 06:13 PM

Well found my camera - as a boy I went to the Root Company with Grandpa many times and watched them amke bows. I was surprised but the quality of wood Grandpa used to heat that place.

But that was in the late 1950s to late 1960s......am I dating myself?

But I will post pictures.

And we can take it from there

JW